Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sleeping in a bag or in a hotel bed?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sleeping in a bag or in a hotel bed?
August 14, 2007 02:27PM
A longtime Yosemite camper believes the national park is catering more to those who stay in fixed-roof lodgings than those who rough it under the stars.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-me-campers13aug13,1,4590141.story

Re: Sleeping in a bag or in a hotel bed?
August 15, 2007 06:45PM
I think the public in general thinks "hotel" when they think of staying in Yosemite, and doesn't necessarily even consider camping there. If you mention "camping" they'd be asking about where to get an RV.

A tent is my first choice for staying in the valley, even in the off season. It puts you in tune with your surroundings, the climate, the sounds, the smells; usually a raven gets you up early to enjoy the early morning crispness and quiet. The folks in the hotels don't hear the coyotes at night, the ravens, a rockslide, raindrops on the tent, which I enjoy. I also enjoy staying at the lodge, but it's no substitute. Of course campground partiers can spoil everything, but fortunately they haven't been a consistent problem, just occasional for me.

I'm a low-maintenance camper though...I go there to enjoy the valley, not to cook, do dishes, chores, etc. The lodge's food court sees me most every evening, and usually for a breakfast or two during my stay. So the stereotype in the article may not always apply.

I'd like to see them establish the motorhome camping somewhere before entering the valley proper, and maybe having the shuttle go there (after all, it goes way out of its loop just for the Ahwahnee...and many motorhomes have bikes or tow vehicles anyway). With no motorhomes in the campground, there would be more campsites available for campers, and motorhomes could enjoy having power and be around folks who like to bring a bit more "stuff" with them. Seems like that would be a win-win situation. It would also cut down some on big vehicles in the valley. And they could move that infernal dump station from Upper Pines 8^).

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
avatar Re: Sleeping in a bag or in a hotel bed?
August 15, 2007 10:47PM
Sierrafan wrote:

> I'd like to see them establish the motorhome camping somewhere
> before entering the valley proper, and maybe having the shuttle
> go there (after all, it goes way out of its loop just for the
> Ahwahnee...

I agree. Being close to nature is what camping should be about. Using a moving hotel room isn't even close.

August 16, 2007 12:18AM
Ah, but after skiing out to Glacier Point and back a nice hotel room is nice.

Old Dude
August 16, 2007 01:40AM
mrcondron wrote:

> Ah, but after skiing out to Glacier Point and back a nice hotel
> room is nice.
>

Staying at Glacier Point in a tent after snowshoe/skiing out is even better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login