All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 18, 2007 05:45PM
spent the night on friday 8/17/07 and came home sat (today 8/18/07).

talk about dried up. Yosemite Falls is totally dry, the only thing wet in the valley is Bridalveil Falls, and that is barely a trickle. the river is fine, in fact i took a swim in it this afternoon, cold but refreshing.

it wasn't that crowded, but normal for a saturday. perfect weather!

watched a number of climbers on El Capitan (8 total) through my telescope.

friday night up at Glacier Point, they had numerous (monsterous) telescopes there with a presentation for the public... i didn't stay for it, but just seeing their equipment was very very impressive!

i plan on going next saturday possibly... if you see a bald guy with glasses in the meadow across from El Capitan (with a telescope), that would be me. come by and say hi.
Re: Yosemite Valley 8/18/07
August 19, 2007 11:29AM
I visited Yosemite on Friday. I'm really disappointed with is the constant construction they have there. One thing that can definitely use some work and I've never seen any construction there, are those campgrounds that look like refugee camps. They are a real eye sore.

I won't be up there next Saturday, have fun. There are usually a lot of people across from El Cap watching the climbers.

Post Edited (08-19-07 13:31)
August 19, 2007 02:59PM
I will be hiking into the valley by way of Vogelsang and Merced Lake next week. How dry is dry? What about Nevada Falls and Vernal Falls, which will be on my route?

Tom
avatar Re: Yosemite Valley 8/18/07
August 19, 2007 03:28PM
The Merced is running about 13 CFS at Happy Isles. That pretty much says the falls will look about like this:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php?g2_itemId=34&g2_page=7

August 19, 2007 09:50PM
Ouch. Will there be any opportunity to fill my water bottle along the Rafferty Creek(Tuolumne to Vogelsang), or the Fletcher or Lewis Creek (Vogelsang to Merced Lake)?

Tom
August 19, 2007 10:29PM
Tom F. wrote:

> Ouch. Will there be any opportunity to fill my water bottle
> along the Rafferty Creek(Tuolumne to Vogelsang), or the
> Fletcher or Lewis Creek (Vogelsang to Merced Lake)?

I suspect you'll find some water, but be ready to filter it. And don't pass up a chance just because you think you'll find more later.

August 21, 2007 10:46AM
Rafferty Creek is dry. Both Fletcher and Lewis Creeks are running.

August 21, 2007 10:58AM
Todd,
When you say "dry" do you mean that there is NO water anywhere or are there some pondlettes along the way?

Old Dude
August 21, 2007 11:07AM
I saw one or two very small pondlets in the meadow below Vogelsang. Otherwise, not a drop. At that point, you're only a mile or two from Fletcher Lake or Boothe Lake. This was on Saturday 8/18.
August 21, 2007 11:09AM
There was also a decent-sized pond (not in the creek) near the Boothe Lake trail (but again, by that time you've done most of the hike).
August 21, 2007 11:57PM
Going north from Tuolumne Meadows there is water in Virginia Canyon and Spiller Creek (as of two days ago).

If anyone needs to know about specific creeks up the Pacific Crest Trail, I can give you the latest.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login