Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Large Gaps Found in Public Understanding of Climate Change

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Large Gaps Found in Public Understanding of Climate Change
October 14, 2010 06:03PM
ScienceDaily (Oct. 14, 2010) — Sixty-three percent of Americans believe that global warming is happening, but many do not understand why, according to a national study conducted by researchers at Yale University. The report titled "Americans' Knowledge of Climate Change" found that only 57 percent know what the greenhouse effect is, only 45 percent of Americans understand that carbon dioxide traps heat from the Earth's surface, and just 50 percent understand that global warming is caused mostly by human activities. Large majorities incorrectly think that the hole in the ozone layer and aerosol spray cans cause global warming. Meanwhile, 75 percent of Americans have never heard of the related problems of ocean acidification or coral bleaching.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101014121119.htm
avatar Re: Large Gaps Found in Public Understanding of Climate Change
October 14, 2010 06:11PM
Those "gaps" in lay people's knowledge of climate change have been put there by politicians paid by the oil and coal companies.
October 18, 2010 12:32PM
Dave
Those "gaps" in lay people's knowledge of climate change have been put there by politicians paid by the oil and coal companies.

That and folks watching sitcom reruns or whatever during the news hour. News? What's that?
October 18, 2010 12:36PM
tomdisco
That and folks watching sitcom reruns or whatever during the news hour. News? What's that?

Have you watch the news lately? It's not much help.
October 18, 2010 12:56PM
eeek
tomdisco

I agree that content is lacking but the average citizen would be much more informed, at least regarding terminology, purely by listening to news broadcasts, reading newspaper articles, reading magazine articles, book reading, etc. Heck, some of this stuff even appears in novels. I'm stunned by the number of folks who make little or no attempt to acquaint themselves with anything going on in the world. They are the same ones who think Norway is the capital of Sweden, the Merced River is in Bolivia, you get the picture. When a surveyor asks them a question on the street they either produce an "I don't know" or make up some insane guess.
October 18, 2010 01:03PM
tomdisco
eeek
tomdisco

I agree that content is lacking but the average citizen would be much more informed, at least regarding terminology, purely by listening to news broadcasts, reading newspaper articles, reading magazine articles, book reading, etc. Heck, some of this stuff even appears in novels. I'm stunned by the number of folks who make little or no attempt to acquaint themselves with anything going on in the world. They are the same ones who think Norway is the capital of Sweden, the Merced River is in Bolivia, you get the picture. When a surveyor asks them a question on the street they either produce an "I don't know" or make up some insane guess.

Just remember: half the people are below average.
October 18, 2010 01:15PM
And there is only one average person.

Old Dude
October 18, 2010 02:55PM
mrcondron
And there is only one average person.

What makes you think that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 02:55PM by eeek.
October 18, 2010 01:05PM
Heh. Are you suggesting that people should, you know, learn something?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" — Isaac Asimov
October 18, 2010 04:59PM
tomdisco
They watch Faux "news" instead of a real news program.
October 18, 2010 06:53PM
Dave
tomdisco

Whutt!?!?

Me taught could getz all da news ear.

Chick-on is looking at you!

October 18, 2010 06:56PM
chick-on
Dave
tomdisco

Whutt!?!?

Yes, all the "news" Murdoch and the Republicans want you to know.
October 18, 2010 09:16PM
Dave
chick-on
Dave
tomdisco

Whutt!?!?

Yes, all the "news" Murdoch and the Republicans want you to know.

Sorree...

I meant eye getz all my news ear: SUPA DUPA NEWZ STATION

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login