Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trail conditions from Tuolomne

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trail conditions from Tuolomne
June 04, 2003 05:47PM
<HTML>
I have a permit to go from Tuolomne to the Valley (planning to go via Cathedral Lakes and Cloud's Rest) from Friday the 13th through Sunday the 15th. Anybody out there have any idea whether conditions will be reasonable by then? I got the permit before all this late-season snow. If it's still buried, suggestions of other places to go are welcome. Thanks!</HTML>
June 05, 2003 11:40AM
<HTML>I also would like to know the trail conditions. I have a trip through Glen Aulin to Smedburg Lake starting the 12th and I'm worried about snow on the trail!</HTML>
avatar Re: Trail conditions from Tuolomne
June 05, 2003 12:58PM
<HTML>I'd expect snow at least over the passes. But that shouldn't stop you from being able to hike the trail.</HTML>

June 17, 2003 10:34AM
<HTML>Just got back from Yosemite and due to snow and cold, fast moving streams, had to cancel my trip to Smedburg Lake. Most of the trail was snow free and muddy but I ran into a lot of snow on a steep, sheltered section just before I got to Miller Lake on my second day. It would have been very difficult without my trekking poles! The lake was about 70% ice covered.

The snow is melting fast, but the streams will be a problem for another week or two. The passible sections were about 2 feet deep, very cold and fast moving. Was a bit nerve wracking, wading over the smooth rocks and fighting the current. Decided I wasn't up to crossing an additional 4 streams in addtion to the three I did cross and going through Benson Pass, which I expect would have a lot of snow.

So, I stayed at Miller Lake and went to McCabe Lake the next day. McCabe Lake was also more than 70% ice covered and the last .5 mile was almost all snow covered. The lake is very beautiful with an very impressive peak behind it.

I decided to hike the last 14 miles to my truck the next day.

As I was leaving, I saw storm clouds and even ran into a short period of hail.

Next year I'll return to my usual October time of year.</HTML>
avatar Re: Trail conditions from Tuolomne
June 17, 2003 03:37PM
<HTML>Thanks for the report.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login