Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Off topic: exploding deer on Hwy 50

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Off topic: exploding deer on Hwy 50
August 28, 2007 12:42AM
I just got back to the Bay Area from Tahoe tonight. Somewhere just before Shingle Springs (might have been the southern end of Placerville), I saw a deer in the right lane (I was in the left). I was worried that it might move into the left lane, but it didn't and my GF's car was safe. However - a full-sized Dodge pickup collided straight on at the speed limit; I think the driver might not have even noticed until it was too late. I didn't see the actual impact, but man there was no escaping that sound like a gunshot. Later I got a quick look at the Dodge, and the bumper was hanging off at an angle showing clear damage. Eventually the driver got off at an exit with Highway Patrol office signage and I'm thinking he was going to report it.

I know deer and other animals in Yosemite meet similar ends, but there's nothing quite like it happening on a major divided highway with a 65 MPH speed limit.

avatar Re: Off topic: exploding deer on Hwy 50
August 28, 2007 02:32AM
A lot of people get killed hitting deer. That guy was lucky; the deer wasn't.

August 28, 2007 07:46AM
The guy was fortunate that the hood of his pickup was taller than the deer. Most cars colliding like that might have gotten their windshields cracked or shattered (the real dangerous part). However - I'm not sure if he even saw it, because there was room to avoid it on the right shoulder.

Ironically enough, there was a deer in my driveway as I got home. Freaked out my GF (especially after the incident), although this one had time to run away.

Post Edited (08-28-07 11:33)
August 28, 2007 09:25AM
my son recently hit a deer in his van, it did a lot of damage, but was repairable.

he did tell me that as he hit it, it's eyes met his as it was coming towards him, he thought that to be weird. lol now that this had happened, any time he see's a sign about deer warnings, he takes them serious and slows way down.
August 28, 2007 09:58AM
My buddy hit a deer a few years back outside of Chico, Ca. He not only totaled his car, he spent 2 months in the hospital too!

Dan
August 28, 2007 12:17PM
I smashed into a deer with my Mustang about a year ago on 395 at the northwest end of Mono Lake around 11 p.m. Luckily I was gearing down to go up to Conway Summit so I was only going about 50 mph. Busted a high-beam headlight and pushed the middle of the front end in about an inch but not far enough to wreck the radiator. I wasn't hurt, just angry...I had two pet cats in a carrier in the back seat, they hate car trips anyway and didn't take it that well in the sudden stop, one cat had a puffed up eye for a few days and the other busted a suture (she was spayed just a few days earlier). The deer flew way up in the air, I'm sure it didn't survive. If I had known at the time and were better prepared, I would've gutted the deer and kept it. Road kill is legal game, as long as you purchase a hunting license (which you can do after the fact in this case).
August 28, 2007 12:54PM
Vince wrote:

> I smashed into a deer with my Mustang about a year ago on 395
> at the northwest end of Mono Lake around 11 p.m.

What time of year did this happen?

August 28, 2007 03:43PM
July 5, '06 11 p.m., and yes, it was almost next to the "Deer Xing" sign!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login