Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Valley to Wawona (Mariposa Grove)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Valley to Wawona (Mariposa Grove)
August 29, 2007 07:53AM
Hi,

I'm planning my (first ever) visit to Yosemite in mid-october (21st - 28th), I won't be driving and am thinking of using bus tours and YARTS valley shuttle services. I'm planning to stay a night in Wawona (hotel) and explore Mariposa Grove area for a full day. Here's the problem, I won't be driving and couldn't find any way to go from Yosemite Valley to Wawona? Has anybody done that before? I was wondering if it's possible to go to Wawona from Yosemite valley via any trails? How long it will take? How about renting a mountain bike and cycle to wawona?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hameed
avatar Re: Yosemite Valley to Wawona (Mariposa Grove)
August 29, 2007 08:54AM
It's all possible, but you'll need a backpack, supplies, and wilderness permit. I've got it calculated at about 25 miles along several trails starting at Four Mile Trail, and a little bit longer if you start closer to a shuttle stop. You might be able to do that in one or two nights. It's not going to be easy.

You could bike it, but I don't know about that road. It's narrow with a lot of sharp dropoffs and RVs driving along it. Most people would suggest renting a car if you have a license.

August 29, 2007 10:08AM
At that time of year you have to be prepared for snow or at least rain and below freezing nighttime temperatures. If you are thinking of going alone or do not have winter camping experience and the necessary winter hiking gear then I would urge you to not try making the hike from the valley to Wawona.

Old Dude
August 30, 2007 02:11AM
I would've considered renting a car only if i had the driving license.!!

Thanks y_p_w and Mike, for the information, much appreciated. Which trail we're talking about, just for curiosity?
August 30, 2007 08:03AM
ham33d wrote:

> Thanks y_p_w and Mike, for the information, much appreciated.
> Which trail we're talking about, just for curiosity?

Not one trail. It would be a series of different trails passing through at least 8 trail junctions. I don't know most of the names, since they're not all named on my National Geographic Trails Illustrated map. Really you'd need a map and someone marking the trails to take. Here's my best interpretation in text:

4.6 miles - Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point.
1 mile - to trail junction.
1.8 miles - to trail junction.
3 miles along Pohono Trail.
1.9 miles south to Glacier Point Road passing through McGurk Meadow.
0.7 mile south to trail junction.
3.7 miles south past Westfall Meadows.
0.6 miles west.
1.5 miles south.
4.1 miles south.
2.9 miles south and you're to the Pioneer Yosemite History Center. You're there with a short walk to all services at Wawona.

August 30, 2007 08:27AM
Ham,
If I were to do the hike with the purpose of just getting to Wawona and not trying to get a "wilderness experience" then I would consider hiking the Wawona Road while trying to hitchhike. The chances of getting a ride are good if you keep your ax or chainsaw out of sight.

If hiking for the wilderness experience:

Discovery View at the tunnel east along to Pohono Trail to the McGurk Meadow junction.

South along the McGurk Meadow trail crossing Glacier Point Road past Bridalveil Creek campground through Westfall Meadows.

South on the Adler Creek trail to the Turner Ridge junction then south to Wawona.

This route is a about 25 miles long and stays pretty much to the west and well below seven thousand feet most of the way. This will help with the snow issue but rain and freezing nighttime temperatures are still something to worry about.

A two foot snow dump is not unheard of at that time of year.

Old Dude
August 30, 2007 09:35AM
It sounds like what you need is a bus service from the Valley to Wawona. The official park concessionaire doesn't seem to do this, and I don't think private tour bus companies are allowed to provide point-to-point service in the park.

August 31, 2007 06:40AM
The hidden reason is to have the "Wilderness Experience" but if it takes more than a day then its no good for me as i'll only be there for a just under a week and want to do other trails too.

anyway, thanks again guys for great info.
September 13, 2007 01:18PM
Hi. I work in Yosemite for the concessionar, DNC. This year we are offering a free shuttle from Wawona to the valley, daily. It arrives in the Valley between 9:30 and 10:00. It return at 3:30PM. Perhaps this can help.
September 13, 2007 08:38PM
I wish there was shuttles that went from Foresta, yosemite west or Wawona... as we want to stay there when we go... as we don't drive.
September 18, 2007 02:12AM
ssarka, will it be possible to take the shuttle in october as well?

thanks,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login