Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Cycling to the valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cycling to the valley
September 13, 2007 03:59PM
Is there any way by bicycle to get down to the valley from

Wawona, Yosemite west or Foresta?
avatar Re: Cycling to the valley
September 13, 2007 04:06PM
Only by taking the same route that you'd drive.

September 13, 2007 04:40PM
Is it safe to use the hwy for bikes? or do people drive to fast?
September 13, 2007 05:01PM
ginap73 wrote:

> Is it safe to use the hwy for bikes? or do people drive to [sic] fast?

I wouldn't do it, although it's an individual determination of risk. Personally I'd be scared off by the combination of narrow roads (with little/no shoulders) and buses/RVs. It's a bit scary just driving those roads in a car, without the worry that someone might clip me while riding a bicycle.

When I was an avid bicyclist, I'd restrict my riding to areas with low speed limits or higher speed limits with wide shoulders (where bicyclists can legally ride).
September 13, 2007 06:12PM
I don't drive and was thinking of renting a house for a week or so.

Is there any way to get from those places to the valley by shuttle??
September 14, 2007 09:41AM
ginap73 wrote:

> I don't drive and was thinking of renting a house for a week or
> so.
>
> Is there any way to get from those places to the valley by
> shuttle??

There might be. I still haven't seen anything about a Valley to Wawona shuttle on the DNC Yosemite website. It's rather sad, but you'll probably need a car or other motorized transport.

Here are some photos. Sometimes there are wide dirt shoulders, but you'll notice the opposite direction barely has any shoulder. Couple that with buses/RVs and a 35 MPH speed limit.

http://www.rety.org/photo/197

The Wawona Tunnel could be dangerous:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68341589@N00/59410716/

If you can get into the Valley, bicycling around is an excellent option, although you probably wouldn't need it with the Valley shuttle.

September 14, 2007 12:38PM
I have been there lots of times, but always went with friends with cars. I think that tunnel is the thing that makes me nervous the most about the thought..

what about hwy 140 from foresta? I was looking at the train from google earth and it seemed more do-able but i am still not sure..

Being in the valley by bike would be awesome. i used to do mostly walking back when i was a teen.. i used the shuttle but mostly walked the whole valley. I am very much at home there.

I just would like to be able to rent a house for a week and be able to get down to the valley on my own..
September 18, 2007 10:10AM
September 18, 2007 01:52PM
not from the foresta area. the Yarts don't go where i will be staying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login