Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Climbing Mount Everest: Noble Adventure or Selfish Pursuit?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Climbing Mount Everest: Noble Adventure or Selfish Pursuit?
December 22, 2010 03:39PM
ScienceDaily (Dec. 22, 2010) — Adventure seekers are plunking down more than $50,000 to climb Mount Everest, but a new study in the Journal of Consumer Research finds that people who pay for transformative experiences often lack the communitarian spirit that usually defines such activities.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101222112241.htm
avatar Re: Climbing Mount Everest: Noble Adventure or Selfish Pursuit?
December 24, 2010 10:43AM
There are also so many people on that mountain that do not belong there due to physical failings and total lack of experience . Just because you have the money does not mean you are qualified to be on that rock. Sixty-five year old housewives? Get real. This is a classic example of where money trumps safety. Even base camp altitude would do in most of us.
December 25, 2010 10:31PM
At one point it was about noble adventure, but now it's about ignorant, rich tourists. Obviously there are exceptions, but after watching some modern documentaries on Everest and seeing interviews with the types of people trying to climb it... all I can do is shake my head. Some of the people attempting to summit Everest should no more be trying to do that than I should be attempting brain surgery.
December 26, 2010 11:38PM
I may go slightly off topic- based on the article here- but it is about the commercialization...

I have spoken to some who have traveled to Nepal (not Everest). They have shown me photos and explained how touristy the general area is getting- i.e. commercialized. I hate to imagine it, but, for me, Everest may seem like a place full of trash, bodies, and all else that humanity leave behind besides- including, literally, crap.

Maybe space flight may like the next big enterpri$e. I sure we can leave our mark there while we commercialize it as well. <sigh>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login