All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ahwahnee prices?
January 03, 2011 06:47PM
Can anyone give me a rough idea what dinner at the Ahwahnee Hotel might cost?
Their website has some posted sample menus, but no indication of cost.

Thanks . . . Kurt
Grants Pass, OR
January 03, 2011 07:51PM
it's one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" things. Actually dinner there is on a par with any expensive restaurant. Just plan on $100 per person and you'll be happy with the bill depending on the wine you drink.

Old Dude
January 03, 2011 10:08PM
mrcondron
it's one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" things. Actually dinner there is on a par with any expensive restaurant. Just plan on $100 per person and you'll be happy with the bill depending on the wine you drink.

I seem to recall that, in the past (perhaps very distant), they required a coat (dinner jacket or sports coat) for the evening meal which would give you some idea of the cost. The requirements now seem to be just a shirt with a collar and long pants. Apparently they had a problem with people not wearing pants at dinner. Many sites give feedback on the dinner (see tripadvisor or yelp, for example). Personally, I always preferred the Sunday Brunch.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 04, 2011 05:48PM
Frank Furter
mrcondron

I seem to recall that, in the past (perhaps very distant), they required a coat (dinner jacket or sports coat) for the evening meal which would give you some idea of the cost. The requirements now seem to be just a shirt with a collar and long pants. Apparently they had a problem with people not wearing pants at dinner. Many sites give feedback on the dinner (see tripadvisor or yelp, for example). Personally, I always preferred the Sunday Brunch.

The current standard is "resort casual" which to me can mean something as informal as an Aloha shirt with khakis.

They have no standards for lunch now other than be legal. We went there after doing the Mist Trail and dined at the Ahwhanee for lunch wearing T-shirts and shorts. The lunch entree prices were in the $18-25 range. We had a seared ahi tuna sandwich and the pasta special with New York steak pieces. Lunch for two was about $65 with an appetizer and two beverages.

The following notes that in 2010 the most expensive item on the menu was $49.

http://www.suite101.com/content/ahwahnee-dining-room-in-yosemite-national-park-review-a255812

Personally I'd say if you just want to dine there for the atmosphere, try breakfast. You can get the 2-egg breakfast for under $15 and the service was still impeccable. If you want a fine meal, the Mountain Room at Yosemite Lodge is just as good as the Ahwahnee for much less. I recall a 12 oz New York steak for less than $30.
January 04, 2011 07:17PM
y_p_w
If you want a fine meal, the Mountain Room at Yosemite Lodge is just as good as the Ahwahnee for much less. I recall a 12 oz New York steak for less than $30.

And much less pretentious.
January 04, 2011 09:40PM
Classic view of Upper Yosemite Fall from tables in the window corner.
January 05, 2011 10:54AM
qumqats
Classic view of Upper Yosemite Fall from tables in the window corner.

However - they don't take reservations, and it may be a little bit too dark at late night to see much. That's the other thing - I think breakfast or lunch at the Ahwahnee Dining Room is better because there's better light. I know during summer that sunset is later, but I'd prefer more light.

Still - when I went there for my first big meal after a backpacking trip, I got to the Mountain Room as soon as they opened at 5 and asked for a table with a view. For some reason I had a laundry bag with me (I recall that I didn't feel like taking the shuttle to my car to unload it), but they didn't seem to mind.
Re: Ahwahnee prices?
January 04, 2011 04:31PM
Went there once for dinner, at the time sweaters and slacks were acceptable. Can't recall the cost, but I know it somewhere around $50-60. (this was about 7 years ago)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 04:37PM by hotrod4x5.
January 04, 2011 04:53PM
hotrod4x5
sweaters and slacks were acceptable.

Is it that cold in there that one needs extra insulation?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login