Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Man Bitten By Bear Near Mist Falls In Kings Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Man Bitten By Bear Near Mist Falls In Kings Canyon
September 19, 2007 04:17PM
A 65-year-old man was bitten by a bear in Kings Canyon National Park on the afternoon of Thursday, September 6th. The man had been sleeping on a rock near Mist Falls, a four-mile hike from Roads End in Cedar Grove. He was awakened by other visitors who were yelling to him to warn him that he was being approached by a bear. As he sat up, the bear bit his right thigh, causing numerous puncture wounds. The man yelled and swatted the bear, but the bear did not leave the immediate area. Several people helped scare it away. Ten days before the incident, warning signs were posted at the Roads End Ranger Station following reports of a small bear approaching people near Mist Falls. Wilderness rangers looked for the bear on several occasions, but could not find it. On Saturday, this yearling female bear was found, tranquilized and euthanized by bear management staff. The man’s injury was treated by park medics at Roads End. He then went to Sierra Kings Hospital for further treatment.

Re: Man Bitten By Bear Near Mist Falls In Kings Canyon
September 19, 2007 04:36PM
Oh my. He must have been in a very deep sleep. I hope his injuries aren't too severe.
avatar Re: Man Bitten By Bear Near Mist Falls In Kings Canyon
September 19, 2007 11:57PM
He probably fell asleep on the granite open area below mist falls, where the rapids are. It's a nice place to take a nap. I can picture someone falling asleep deeply there, even in low water time. Mist Fall is too damp to get into the lucid zone. I'm surprised the squirrels and chipmunks didn't get to him sooner tho
avatar Re: Man Bitten By Bear Near Mist Falls In Kings Canyon
September 21, 2007 09:39AM
Wasn't the bear merely doing the ranger's job? I.e., enforcing the "No Parking Zone" between Roads End and Lower Paradise Valley.

Post Edited (09-21-07 12:13)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login