Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Snow

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 20, 2007 11:17AM
The web cam is showing snow at Tioga Pass.

http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/tioga/tioga_current.jpg

September 20, 2007 01:24PM
That's good to see this early. We got some in the upper mountains at Lake Tahoe but not as much as Tioga.
September 20, 2007 05:03PM
hope that's a good sign of having a great winter.
September 21, 2007 11:00AM
Our winter storm progressions in CA in most recent years seem to be bimodal, that is, we have two peaks - one in the fall, and another coming in around late February-March. Their strength and durations vary quite a bit. Sometimes, the storms come every day for a month or more, like 2004-2005 and 2005-2006, and sometimes they just sputter few times and end, like in 2006-2007. It doesn't seem to matter how early or late the season actually begins. Thus, if this pattern holds, an early snowfall may *not* be indicative of a strong winter.

However, this is only guesswork based on general observations over the last half-decade. I have not seen any statistical models of this recent trend, and it could end anytime. I hope, whatever the patern may be this year, that we get a darn good dose of snow!

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
September 21, 2007 01:42PM
I wanted to wander up to Tuolomne Meadows this weekend but looks like another dose of snow tonight through tomorrow. Praying now for an indian summer!
September 21, 2007 08:38PM
For weather info up here I utilize the "What's-It" method. I look out the window and see what's it doing outside. Not very technological but it's really "up to the moment" accurate...and it never needs new batteries.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login