Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Riding Horse Legal in Montana While Drunk

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Riding Horse Legal in Montana While Drunk
January 17, 2011 07:37PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347928/Horse-pub-lift-ad-sparks-row-Sober-Friend-video-hit.html

Riding a horse while drunk IS legal, police confirm after ad campaign

When transport chiefs wanted pub goers to get a 'sober friend' to give them a lift home they jokingly used a horse in their advert - not expecting anyone to take it literally.
But some drinkers in Montana, U.S., have started returning from bars on horseback - and police have confirmed it is legal to ride the animal while drunk.
The Department of Transportation were concerned that people were putting themselves at risk by not planning in advance how they were getting home...

Sober Friend Video

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Riding Horse Legal in Montana While Drunk
January 17, 2011 08:47PM
Interestingly, in the book Freakonomics, I believe the case was made that it is safer for the intoxicated person to drive home than to walk as the injuries per mile to drunk walker are greater than to a drunk driver. No comment on the injuries to innocents. Dubner and Levitt did not do the analysis for horses, lawn mowers, or skateboards as the vehicle of choice, however.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 18, 2011 12:28AM
Frank Furter
No comment on the injuries to innocents.

That would be the statistic I'd be much more interested in hearing about. It's up to a drunk person as to whether they want to put his or her own life at risk, but it's not up to them as to whether he/she wants to put an innocent person at risk. It's sad to hear that a drunk driver has died, but it's way worse to hear that pedestrians or an innocent driver was killed by a drunk driver.
January 17, 2011 09:19PM
But is it legal if the horse is drunk?
January 18, 2011 09:33AM
The horse is still in control to some degree. Even so, I would think a drunk person might fall off a horse.

I've heard that one of the reasons why guide dogs work so well is that they have a self-preservation instinct.
January 18, 2011 01:21PM
Lots of drunks would have a problem getting on to a horse.
January 18, 2011 03:33PM
They'd have no problem getting off the horse!
January 18, 2011 03:55PM
qumqats
They'd have no problem getting off the horse!

I've dismounted that way while sober. It's not something I want to repeat!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login