Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Crossing Indian Ridge

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Crossing Indian Ridge
October 01, 2007 03:25PM
Hi there. I'm planning a loop hike this Saturday above the Valley, and was wondering if anyone had climbed cross-country over Indian Ridge above North Dome. My plan is ascend Snow Creek from Mirror Lake/Meadow, but I'd like to know if I have to go all the way around the ridge to get across to North Dome. I might also try for Basket Dome if conditions permit.

Any info/beta would be appreciated. You can e-mail me at moosept2000 at cs dot com.

Thanks,
Laura

"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." -Colette Richard
avatar Re: Crossing Indian Ridge
October 01, 2007 03:57PM
Laura,
Follow the trail from Snow Creek around all the way around to North Dome. The east side of Basket Dome is sheer. Once you get to a spot where you can go east from the Snow Creek trail you will be better off just staying on the trail.

Once you get to North Dome then the trip to Basket Dome is not so bad.

Think about coming in from Tioga Road. Coming up from the valley and on to North Dome and then back to the valley is pushing 20 miles and 4000 feet up and then 4000 feet down. The Tioga Road route is fewer miles and a lot less elevation.

Things a very dry up there so carry enough water for the entire trip.

Old Dude
October 01, 2007 04:59PM
Thanks, Mike. Actually, that sort of mileage and gain was exactly what I was looking for. The topo seems to 'loosen' a bit in the vicinity of Indian Rock, which might be a fun cut-across as well. But the topo is no substitute for standing under a wet slab-face wondering where to find the line. Looks like all three points (Indian Rock, Basket Dome, and North Dome are the 'most' accessible from the west.

How well is the trail marked up there? I see junctions for Snow Creek beyond Mirror Lake, a junction with the Lake and Tuolumne Meadows Trail, another at Lahamite Creek, etc.

Water, oh yeah. Probably take at least a gallon to start and my Steri-pen for a possible refill at Yosemite Creek before the descent.

Or maybe I'll just stay on the east side and bag Mt. Watkins, too. Who knows? Weather reports are looking solid so far, and I've got new batts in the headlamp.

Thanks for the info!
-L

"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." -Colette Richard
October 01, 2007 06:52PM
I wanted to make a similar connection going from north dome (proper) to snow creek trail and ended up getting lured down below basket dome to a ledge about 600 ft above mirror lake (circa 1976 or something) . The next morning the rangers rappeled me down to the ground .

October 01, 2007 10:52PM
All the trails are plain to see and the junctions are marked.

Yosemite Creek has pools of water along the bed and the flow is about a garden hose turned on one half. The pools that are exposed to the sun are kind of green. I presume you plan to descend at Yosemite Falls trail.

Mount Wadkins is a cake walk.

Old Dude
October 02, 2007 08:32AM
Sounds good, guys. Looks like I'll stick more to the trail!

Don't know about the descent yet. It would be a nice stroll to cross that plateau and come down to meet my parents at the Lodge for drinks!

-L

October 02, 2007 09:11AM
Laura,

If you want to meet your parents at the lodge for drinks try this:

Up Snow Creek, north around Indian Rock, the spur to Indian Rock and to check out the arch, south to North Dome, west to the Yosemite Creek trail, north one half mile to the Eagle Peak trail junction, west to the Eagle Peak spur, up Eagle Peak, (great views), back down to the Yosemite Creek trail, down the Yosemite Creek trail to the lodge, and finally drink with parents.

If you want to extend the hike then go on to the top of El Cap after doing Eagle Peak. There is a running spring that crosses the trail about one mile east of the spur that goes out to the top of El Cap so water isn't an issue of you choose to go to El Cap.

If you go to El Cap take a six pack. It may be too late in the year but you might run into some climbers that have just come over the top.

Old Dude
October 02, 2007 03:19PM
I was looking at the Eagle Peak portion as well, and I think I'll just have to play it by ear. I calculate about a 24 mile day with that, but I've heard the views from there are outstanding!

I figure if I leave around 4 a.m. and put in 12-13 hard hours, I might be able to just pull it off! That and the motivation of a Cosmo at the Lodge might just do the trick! Love it!

Thanks, Mike.

-L

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login