Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Benefits of Outdoor Exercise Confirmed

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Benefits of Outdoor Exercise Confirmed
February 04, 2011 04:05PM
ScienceDaily (Feb. 4, 2011) — A systematic review carried out by a team at the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry has analysed existing studies and concluded that there are benefits to mental and physical well-being from taking exercise in the natural environment. Their findings are published in the research journal Environmental Science and Technology on February 4th 2011.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110204130607.htm
avatar Re: Benefits of Outdoor Exercise Confirmed
February 04, 2011 04:40PM
None of this is news to people who regularly go outside. Or read Richard Louv. Or have studied the importance of natural environments and the impact they have on health (physical and mental). But it's great to see a scientific study to back up the anecdotal evidence.

I know that no matter how bad I'm feeling, how grumpy or blue or annoyed or whatever, if I take even just a 10 minute break and go sit in my backyard or walk along the creek trail behind our neighborhood, I'm going to come back renewed and have a clearer perspective on whatever is bothering me.

(note: I'm typing this from Northstar, having spend the better part of the last two days outside on the slopes)

Thanks for posting this. I will have to pass this around. Sadly, the people in my circle who would probably most benefit are the ones who are least likely to go outside.
February 04, 2011 04:43PM
itchbay
Sadly, the people in my circle who would probably most benefit are the ones who are least likely to go outside.

A chicken and egg thing.

Old Dude
February 04, 2011 04:57PM
itchbay
Sadly, the people in my circle who would probably most benefit are the ones who are least likely to go outside.

I have to laugh at the lines of people on treadmills in gyms. This is California, go for a walk!
February 04, 2011 05:10PM
Is anybody surprised this took a systematic review to come to this conclusion? Any hiker could provide the same information for free.
February 04, 2011 08:34PM
That's my thinking. But I'm glad that the scientific review is out there. That means there is more weight behind the advice to include more green space and multi-use trails in civic planning.

Seems my grandma still knew what's best: Go outside and play!
Re: Benefits of Outdoor Exercise Confirmed
February 05, 2011 07:21AM
I loved this story. While other mental exercises like crossword puzzles or Sudoku can improve specific brain functions, only walking builds a better brain in all kinds of different ways.

But then, as backpackers we already knew this.

After all, our brains are bigger!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login