Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Vernal Fall Mist Trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 02, 2002 03:31PM
The Mist Trail has been opened subject to closure if the weather turns cold and ice forms.
Re: Vernal Fall Mist Trail
July 30, 2011 12:34AM
Fun trail. I've never taken it in the "down" direction. Any thoughts on making this a one-way trail?
avatar Re: Vernal Fall Mist Trail
July 30, 2011 11:50AM
Ohnivy-Drak
Fun trail. I've never taken it in the "down" direction. Any thoughts on making this a one-way trail?

I done both directions more times than I can remember. There's no need to make it one-way.
July 30, 2011 12:14PM
eeek
Ohnivy-Drak

I done both directions more times than I can remember. There's no need to make it one-way.

Wow. This is digging way into the archive.

I was about to go around the Mist Trail at the tail end of my backpacking trip. Someone I was talking to suggested that there should be no reason to avoid it, and that it would save me about two miles compared to going around.

I found it was just fine. I did work a bit better with poles though. I could use them to steady myself with the huge load on my back. Occasionally some people didn't seem to realize that a heavy pack makes things difficult, but most people were fine.
July 30, 2011 12:40PM
y_p_w
Occasionally some people didn't seem to realize that a heavy pack makes things difficult, but most people were fine.

I've had more trouble with that on the trail below the bridge. The tourist types just won't leave room to pass and it's hard to brake with a heavy pack on.
July 30, 2011 06:22PM
y_p_w
eeek
Ohnivy-Drak

Wow. This is digging way into the archive.

I was about to go around the Mist Trail at the tail end of my backpacking trip. Someone I was talking to suggested that there should be no reason to avoid it, and that it would save me about two miles compared to going around.

I found it was just fine. I did work a bit better with poles though. I could use them to steady myself with the huge load on my back. Occasionally some people didn't seem to realize that a heavy pack makes things difficult, but most people were fine.

Go down on the inside while wearing a pack. If anybody goes over let it be the unladen. Use your poles with a wide stance aiming for the toes of the upward bound.

Old Dude
July 30, 2011 08:28PM
y_p_w

It might be two miles longer taking the JMT (I haven't checked the exact difference in the mileage), but for me at least, it takes about the same amount of time either way, since I can travel at a much greater speed downhill on the JMT than on the Mist Trail. Also I find going downhill on the JMT a lot easier on my knees and ankles joints.

The one thing I don't like about the JMT (compared to the Mist Trail) is the excess amount of horse poop on the trail. Horses should be required to wear diapers on the park's trail, IMHO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login