Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Half Dome Cables

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 06, 2007 11:02PM
The cables are scheduled to come down on the 15th of October.

October 07, 2007 12:17AM
It's funny reading articles about this, as if the cables are completely removed! The cables never are removed, they are simply laid down onto the surface of Half Dome and look like frozen ropes. Only the 2X4 steps and railing holder-upper-thingies are removed (sorry for vocabulary there).
October 07, 2007 10:01AM
stanchion

|ˈstan ch ən|
noun
an upright bar, post, or frame forming a support or barrier.

Old Dude
October 07, 2007 10:59AM
Vince wrote:

> It's funny reading articles about this, as if the cables are
> completely removed! The cables never are removed, they are
> simply laid down onto the surface of Half Dome and look like
> frozen ropes. Only the 2X4 steps and railing
> holder-upper-thingies are removed (sorry for vocabulary there).

He said they're "scheduled to come down". I don't see anything in his description that says they're totally removed.

I've heard of people going up the cables even after the posts are removed. There were two fatalities (apparently in bad weather) in the past 12 months with people trying to use the cables after the posts were removed. Although there's nothing illegal about doing so, I wouldn't even try it. They should have turned around when the weather turned bad.

October 07, 2007 04:06PM
Glad to hear they're not coming down 'till the 15th. I'm heading there and thought they'd be down by now.

That's what I like about this forum. Eeek always has important updates on Yosemite facilities.

October 10, 2007 06:06PM
Half Dome Cables Scheduled to Come Down for Season in Yosemite National Park
Date: October 4, 2007

The cables on Half Dome in Yosemite National Park are scheduled to be taken down on October 15, 2007, weather permitting.

The cables extend approximately 300 yards up the steep shoulder to the 8,842-foot dome. They give access to the summit and to the unparalleled views of Yosemite Valley and the surrounding mountains of the Sierra Nevada.

Visitors are advised against attempting to summit Half Dome without the cables in place as the rock under the cables is extremely slippery and may be wet and/or icy even in seemingly dry conditions.

The Sierra Club funded the installation of the first cables on Half Dome in 1919; the Civilian Conservation Corps replaced the original cables in 1934.

The cables will be re-installed at the beginning of the summer season in 2008.

Re: Half Dome Cables
October 12, 2007 09:21PM
How's the trail up to the cables? I have been away from California so I don't know if there's any ice/snow up there, or if it's still dry. If anyone knows the trail conditions to the top, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bill
October 13, 2007 07:49PM
Bill:

I just got back from Yosemite this evening. While I didn't make it to Half Dome, I can tell you that as of today there was no snow up there. It's pretty warm in the Valley.

Yosemite had a good downpour last night, including Tuolumne Meadows. We went to Tuolumne Meadows today and the snow they got melted off by noon. When we left it looked like another storm was brewing, but if it stays as warm as it's been the last few days you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Re: Half Dome Cables
October 14, 2007 01:11AM
Thanks Jon. I can always count on you and the other regular here for the best Yosemite infor and updates anywhere.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login