Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Zion and Grand Canyon This Time of Year

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Zion and Grand Canyon This Time of Year
February 15, 2011 06:41PM
Anyone have any wisdom, recommendations, or comments on visiting (not camping, 3-4 day stay) Zion or South Rim of Grand Canyon this time of year?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Zion and Grand Canyon This Time of Year
February 15, 2011 06:43PM
Frank Furter
Anyone have any wisdom, recommendations, or comments on visiting (not camping, 3-4 day stay) Zion or South Rim of Grand Canyon this time of year?

Just this: Do it!
February 15, 2011 07:16PM
Go and then come back and post a picture! Or twelve.

The one time many many moons ago that then future wifey and I camped at the
Grand Canyon, which we went to to get away from Wisconsin during Spring Break...
it snowed on us.

And... the worst snow storm I ever drove thru was thru Arizona (different occasion).

Prolly way too many people assume southwest = nice and warm and no snow.. hmmph.

Anyway... just go baby!
February 15, 2011 08:17PM
I spent Thanksgiving 2009 week at the Grand Canyon, combination backpacking and staying at Bright Angel Lodge. There were people but the crowds weren't excessive, and I really enjoyed it. The days on the rim were pleasant, the nights were in the teens but it didn't matter at all, and camping/hiking conditions in the canyon itself were great.

Haven't been to Zion so I can't comment, but with respect to Grand Canyon...what the others said...just go.
February 15, 2011 09:10PM
I only went to those two places in Summer.

It should be pretty easy to get a cabin at the Grand Canyon this time of year. Maswik and Kachina aren't anywhere near full yet. If you're flexible with times, you might even be able to get a cabin at Bright Angel Lodge since most dates are available. Then there are the pricier places like the El Tovar Hotel and Thunderbird Lodge, which do have plenty of availability, although some dates seem to be full. We stayed at Maswik because it could be reserved, but if it were available, the Bright Angel cabins would have been preferred for their history and location. Maswik was cheap and more than acceptable, but the location wasn't that close to the rim and the architecture was rather unremarkable. Here's one of the Bright Angel cabins:

If you're going to Zion, I guess you could stay at Zion Lodge, but this time of year you can drive yourself and Springdale is quite convenient. I stayed at the Quality Inn at Zion Park. It thought it was a good bargain, the rooms were decent sized and well maintained (it looked to be pretty new though), and the service was friendly. They had a free continental breakfast, and the owner was proudly making fresh waffles. Of course when I went it was 100 degrees outside and I stayed in my air-conditioned room during the mid-day heat.
February 15, 2011 09:43PM
I visited the Zion Mountain Ranch but didn't stay there. Prices are actually pretty affordable, especially in the off season. I did get food there, however, and it was great. Good view from their cabins smiling smiley

I am very tempted to get one of their cabin packages for the off season as a graduation gift for my girlfriend and (who am I kidding) as a gift to myself. The staff were all really friendly, too. If I remember correctly the drive to the park from there wasn't long at all, and it was very pretty.
Re: Zion and Grand Canyon This Time of Year
February 17, 2011 10:16AM
Frank Furter
I spent a month in Zion in January and all I can say is go for it. Not sure what you want to know. Be prepared for any kind of weather.
February 18, 2011 05:45PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to get some pics without causing harm to myself or the environment.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login