All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Does Guinness Beer Taste Better in Ireland?
March 05, 2011 12:58PM
ScienceDaily (Mar. 5, 2011) — A new study in the Journal of Food Science provides some limited scientific evidence to support the theory among beer enthusiasts that Guinness tastes much better in Ireland than other parts of the world.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110305085708.htm
avatar Re: Does Guinness Beer Taste Better in Ireland?
March 05, 2011 02:21PM
eeek
ScienceDaily (Mar. 5, 2011) — A new study in the Journal of Food Science provides some limited scientific evidence to support the theory among beer enthusiasts that Guinness tastes much better in Ireland than other parts of the world.

This is undoubtedly a corollary to the general theorem:
'All nourishment tastes better the further that one is removed from civilization.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 03:34PM by szalkowski.
March 05, 2011 03:15PM
szalkowski
'All nourishment tastes better the further that one is removed from civilization.'

That explains freeze dried backpacking food.
March 05, 2011 04:05PM
The one thing I recall is that Guiness produces the nitrogenated product at several breweries. The St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin was the one that produces the most. They had a brewery in London, and around that time I heard about the possibility that the water might make a difference. However - they closed it down, so who knows what's going on.
Re: Does Guinness Beer Taste Better in Ireland?
March 06, 2011 09:21PM
Some years ago, I visited the Guiness brewery in Dublin, and enjoyed the local brew. I did notice that Guiness tasted better in Ireland than it does here. I also noticed that it seemed to be possible to drink a lot more without feeling the effects.

I had the opportunity to meet and chat with Pete Slosberg, of Pete's Wicked Ale fame. I asked him about this, and he said that the formula is different. The version that we (normally) get here is higher in alcohol content, for one thing. US law prescribes a certain percentage of alcohol in beer. They have to boost the alcohol and the hops for export to the US.
(Hops is a preservative in beer.)

I hope to return to Ireland some day for more testing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login