Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Basic Survival Requires Heat and Shelter

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Basic Survival Requires Heat and Shelter
March 28, 2011 09:39PM
http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/article_f39b8a0a-6e8e-566d-9983-c2e703ee9319.html

The scenarios are endless and often generate news stories: A hiker is stranded on a ledge for days and has to ration his cashews and water until rescuers arrive; ice climbers spend an unplanned night out after one is injured; drivers are stranded along a stretch of rural highway during a blizzard.

So the question for any outdoors person, or for those driving down the highway in bad weather or on rural roads, is this: Can they spend an unexpected night out in relative comfort and safety?...

What caught my eye on this story was the use of a 9 volt battery and some steel wool as a fire starter. Looking on the internet, there are many clever fire starting options including using AA batteries and staple or wire to short out battery and using snack foods (chips) as fuel. Any other great ideas out there?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Basic Survival Requires Heat and Shelter
March 28, 2011 09:49PM
I was thinking matches and maybe some wood.

Old Dude
March 28, 2011 09:58PM
mrcondron
No MacGyver Award for you!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Basic Survival Requires Heat and Shelter
March 29, 2011 08:02AM
mrcondron

both are wet as heck, and it's still raining.

Now what?
March 29, 2011 06:18PM
Matches in waterproof container as always and that what fuel is for.

Old Dude
March 28, 2011 09:52PM
I would not last long without an ample supply of chocolate or Tater Tots..

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
March 28, 2011 10:05PM
Bee

I suspect tater tots will support combustion very well!

-- Carl Sagan
March 29, 2011 11:59AM
Bee

What happened to popcorn?
March 29, 2011 08:39AM
Franky,
You should check out "Dual Survival". Great show.
It has Cody Lundin in it which I have mentioned in the past.
(author of "98.6: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" )
Cody and Dave from Dual Survival are great. They show
a lot of fire starting methods.

I found the article interesting, especially the picture... if that is
from their trip... I guess they could bring a saw... but didn't have
room for a sleeping bag... and the kid is munching on the backup
fire starter...

I don't bring any matches any more. Two Bic Lighters.

Did I win any award?

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 29, 2011 09:34AM
chick-on

Did I win any award?

You deserve a Solid Gold Rubber Chicken, as always!

Good stuff at the Dual Survival site

Also:
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/how-to-start-a-fire.htm

scroll the pages and read about using a soda can bottom (polished) for a convex concave mirror. I wonder if anyone has ever done that? Sounds more theoretical than likely to work. Bic lighters tend to empty if they get cracked and flame can be anemic in very cold weather. One thing not mentioned is the battery and capacitor in "disposable" cameras-- that can put out quite a jolt and could be source of wires (be sure to document your dire situation on film before removing the guts).

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 09:35AM by Frank Furter.
March 29, 2011 10:27AM
Frank Furter
Bic lighters tend to empty if they get cracked and flame can be anemic in very cold weather.
Sigh...
What can I say? I go year-round... I use them year-round.. They work year-round...
100's of trips. Never a failure. (and I bring 2)

Maybe I should mention that I'm lighting a backpacking stove... never a campfire.

Have a nice day

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 29, 2011 04:16PM
chick-on
Frank Furter
Bic lighters tend to empty if they get cracked and flame can be anemic in very cold weather.
Sigh...
What can I say? I go year-round... I use them year-round.. They work year-round...
100's of trips. Never a failure. (and I bring 2)

I should have been more specific. I buy the cheapest crappy lighters and they probably are not Bic quality. Just my personal experience.

-- Carl Sagan
March 29, 2011 12:01PM
chick-on
Franky,
You should check out "Dual Survival". Great show.

Frankly, some of the things the nelipot eats get a bit too disgusting for me.
March 29, 2011 09:12AM
I've been hiking for decades and have never brought anything that used a 9v battery nor have I ever brought steel wool. Not much use for survival if you don't have it.

What I have used in an emergency was a cotton shirt. Cut into small strips, it started nicely with matches.
March 29, 2011 09:41AM
Dave
I've been hiking for decades and have never brought anything that used a 9v battery nor have I ever brought steel wool. Not much use for survival if you don't have it.

What I have used in an emergency was a cotton shirt. Cut into small strips, it started nicely with matches.

the steel wool is light and could be carried in a survival packet. the battery technique has been reported with AA batteries (need to pry off part of the negative end) and I suspect will work with most other batteries if a person knows how to short it out. matches and lighters seem vulnerable to trauma and water. I seem to have an endless supply of batteries around, even a used one may have enough juice to start the steel wool. There is some mention of a "steel match" system. I'm not familiar with that.

-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login