All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

snacks they heavy
March 30, 2011 12:54PM
cliff bars, trail mix...love 'em but they are darn heavy. anyone have any other alternative recommendations?

thanks
J
March 30, 2011 07:15PM
Cheetos

Old Dude
March 30, 2011 08:01PM
Tater Tots.......!

I second Cheetos (lived on 'em for three days) and when going up hot switchbacks, Fruit Rolls are really nice.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Re: snacks they heavy
March 30, 2011 08:42PM
Ugh, Clif bars, heavier in the stomach!

I eat trail mix, chips, nuts, just about anything but bars. Tho I do like a Luna bar once in a while. Some flavors of Odwalla are okay. Chocolate bars, I'm totally there...
March 31, 2011 07:19AM
Hershey bars, peanut butter, and flatbread. I could subsist on these three things if need be.
March 31, 2011 08:13AM
For short intervals, a person really only needs calories (not a well balanced fruits-vegetable-protein-grain-fiber meal). Strictly speaking, the best source of calories is fat. If you want a condensed food source consider very high fat content foods. Probably also useful for starting a survival fire. (exception during extreme exercise, fat is hard to absorb and may cause nausea or diarrhea.)

Water is quite heavy and usually available, so any food with high water content is unnecessarily heavy-- carry very dry or powdered "snacks" if possible.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 31, 2011 09:35AM
Frank Furter
For short intervals, a person really only needs calories (not a well balanced fruits-vegetable-protein-grain-fiber meal). Strictly speaking, the best source of calories is fat. If you want a condensed food source consider very high fat content foods. Probably also useful for starting a survival fire. (exception during extreme exercise, fat is hard to absorb and may cause nausea or diarrhea.)

Water is quite heavy and usually available, so any food with high water content is unnecessarily heavy-- carry very dry or powdered "snacks" if possible.

Peanut butter is calorie dense. Not only that, but it's dense period. Maybe there's a little bit of air from it getting turned into a paste, but it's certainly more dense than loose peanuts with all the little spaces. I've heard of a lot of backpackers packing peanut butter because it puts a lot of calories into a given volume - perfect for efficient use of a bear canister. I brought along a few of those single-serve JIF peanut butter cups and just ate one straight up as part of my breakfast. I don't think I could have consumed more than one at a time without getting sick though.

I also packed olive oil the time I went backpacking. I thought I was going to use it with those Lipton/Knorr pasta sides, but ended up doing nothing with them. I was talking to some fellow campers over at LYV, and they said olive oil can make for some great backcountry cooking, but he oil fumes might also attract bears.
March 31, 2011 09:59AM
y_p_w
I also packed olive oil the time I went backpacking. I thought I was going to use it with those Lipton/Knorr pasta sides, but ended up doing nothing with them. I was talking to some fellow campers over at LYV, and they said olive oil can make for some great backcountry cooking, but he oil fumes might also attract bears.

Olive oil would be useful for starting a campfire.

Addendum: the Lipton/Knorr pasta sides go great with Green Giant vegetables. Since the GG packets are hermetically sealed, the contents will stay good for several days after they thaw. (Note: do not take along any of the newer microwaveable packets since they are fabricated from a different plastic which should not be immersed in boiling water.)
March 31, 2011 02:18PM
Cheetos, yes but they could definitley turn into, cheese-dust in a packed bear can... trail mix, packable but pretty heavy...hershey bars and peanut butter...hot mess..
fat's...like chick-on's can with rice krispies treats hmmm... not a bad idea...how about jerky?? Olive oil wtf...

thanks y'all. i'm gonna go with some nuts and rice krispy treats...
March 31, 2011 04:37PM
I like Nature Valley Nut Crunch bars. At 1.2-oz they are not all that heavy. There is one heavy bar I really like but can only find it at the store in Lee Vining. REI does not carry it. I think it's a Cliff bar in the apricot flavor. Due to its weight I eat it on the first day out.
March 31, 2011 06:45PM
tomdisco
I like Nature Valley Nut Crunch bars. At 1.2-oz they are not all that heavy. There is one heavy bar I really like but can only find it at the store in Lee Vining. .

Oh, good. Now I know where I can ship the 11 boxes of Nature Valley bars that I thought I would like forever.....

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
April 01, 2011 12:13PM
Bee
tomdisco
I like Nature Valley Nut Crunch bars. At 1.2-oz they are not all that heavy. There is one heavy bar I really like but can only find it at the store in Lee Vining. .

Oh, good. Now I know where I can ship the 11 boxes of Nature Valley bars that I thought I would like forever.....

Eleven boxes of stale Nut Crunch. Yum!Feed ME!
May 09, 2011 01:46PM
What about Cheez Its?
May 09, 2011 04:51PM
Or some Cheez Doodles or Cheez Waffies?
May 09, 2011 06:48PM
plawrence
Or some Cheez Doodles or Cheez Waffies?
Cheetos are the only lightweight high calorie good tasting snack food in existence.

Old Dude
April 01, 2011 01:47PM
What you do is gorge yourself a day or two prior to your trip.
It's the same principle as Super Saturating yourself on a water stop.
Normally a day or two ahead I eat a box of Twinkies.. then
at the trailhead I eat another box. Saves a lot of weight and then
I don't need to carry any food, a bear can, a stove, heavy fuel, pots, pans, utensils...
It's called fast packing. I do require a metal shovel though so it is offest a bit..

Half fun out der,
Chick-on avec les pieds

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 01, 2011 09:03PM
I posted about a trail snack, of sorts, previously...

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,31721,31758#msg-31758

Though I don't think I'll follow your theory and drink a bottle of gin the day before, and another bottle at the trailhead.
April 01, 2011 09:33PM
Gin...
That you drink on your way up the cables... while waiting...

It's April 1st.... Thought James would get a kick outta the theory...

smiling smiley

April 04, 2011 12:31PM
chick-on
What you do is gorge yourself a day or two prior to your trip.
It's the same principle as Super Saturating yourself on a water stop.
Normally a day or two ahead I eat a box of Twinkies.. then
at the trailhead I eat another box. Saves a lot of weight and then
I don't need to carry any food, a bear can, a stove, heavy fuel, pots, pans, utensils...
It's called fast packing. I do require a metal shovel though so it is offest a bit..

Half fun out der,
Chick-on avec les pieds

Yeah 2 boxes of twinkies...you better pack out your TP bro!

teehee
April 08, 2011 08:15AM
You could just go with the TB:

May 08, 2011 09:42PM
chick-on

And don't forget the http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B000TZ6ZTG
May 08, 2011 11:14PM
chick-on

These guys went to an extreme. I met them on the way up, and was wondering what they were doing with a "big aluminum can". This photo they took themselves. I took my own pictures, and I think I've shown a few of them before.

May 09, 2011 04:03AM
rroland
cliff bars, trail mix...love 'em but they are darn heavy. anyone have any other alternative recommendations?

Scorpion-on-a-stick is always a good source of protein (use the sticks as kindling or, alternatively, string the little buggers on your trekking poles to save weight):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 04:03AM by szalkowski.
May 09, 2011 11:30AM
The blue ones taste like Blue Hawaiian drinks,---really!grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login