Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half-Dome and Cloud's Rest in One Day?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half-Dome and Cloud's Rest in One Day?
July 18, 2003 11:28AM
<HTML>Last summer I did Half Dome as a day hike and it was great. This year I'd like to do something that's a real challenge. What do ya'll think about the possibility of summiting Cloud's Rest and on the way down taking the Half Dome branch of the trail to the top before coming back down to the Valley? I don't currently have a map so don't know the exact distance that this would add to just half Dome but I'm thinking <10 miles??? Am I crazy? I'm in decent shape needless to say.</HTML>
avatar Re: Half-Dome and Cloud's Rest in One Day?
July 18, 2003 02:38PM
<HTML>I've heard that one can go cross country between the two. That'd cut off quite a bit of altitude change.</HTML>

July 30, 2003 10:34PM
<HTML>No, you aren't crazy. I did Half Dome/Clouds Rest as a dayhike out of Happy Isles last year--it was a lot of fun. I have some pictures and an abbreviated trip report at http://www.stanford.edu/~holliman/hiking/halfdome_090802

It took me 14 hours in all (3 hours to HD, roughly 4 hours from the HD summit to Clouds Rest, and about 5 hours from Clouds Rest back down to the valley; the rest of the time was spent on either of the two summits).</HTML>

August 03, 2003 09:41PM
<HTML>I tried the one-way route. It was easier than finding a car drop-off. Even that was easier than expected. You make it to the half-dome trail in the same amount of time it takes someone to drive around and hike up to that point.</HTML>
August 07, 2003 07:30PM
<HTML>The round trip from the valley is 20 mi. with 13,000' total rise and same descent.One tough day!One way from Tenaya Lake is 18 mi. with 8,000' ascent and 12,000' descent,other than the shuttle,a more relaxed pace.Still a full day.Both great trips.</HTML>
September 04, 2003 05:10PM
<HTML>Try it from Tenaya lake parking lot. It's about 7.5 to Clouds Rest then another 2.5 back to a junction that will take you all the way to valley in 11 more "mostly downhill" miles. the trek takes you to half dome some 6 miles away and then down the trail past the falls to the valley floor.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login