All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 22, 2007 06:23PM
I know Tioga Pass Road opens up when the snows are cleared in the spring, but I was wondering, how far can you drive up from the west before it's open in say April? Do they close it just past Crane Flat? I would like to drive to Porcupine Flat in about April
avatar Re: Tioga Road in the spring
November 22, 2007 08:24PM
I'm pretty sure the entire road from Crane Flat to the park entrance at Tioga opens at the same time. The stretch from 395 to the Tioga entrance is controlled by Caltrans and they may open that portion of the road before the NPS opens the rest of 120.

Post Edited (11-23-07 13:05)

Old Dude
November 23, 2007 07:31AM
mrcondron wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the entire road from Crane Flat to the park
> entrance at Tioga opens at the same time.

Actually they do open a portion of it from the West some years. Some years you can go all the way to Yosemite Creek before the entire road is open.

> The stretch from 395
> to the Tioga entrance is controlled by the forest service

Actually it's control by Caltrans.

November 23, 2007 11:05AM
That's what I said. Caltrans.

Old Dude
November 22, 2007 10:48PM
The way things are going you'll be able to drive through in Jan, Feb and March, which makes for a nice shortcut from this side of the Sierra.

Vince in Sparks NV
April 28, 2009 01:40PM
Vince
The way things are going you'll be able to drive through in Jan, Feb and March, which makes for a nice shortcut from this side of the Sierra.

Doesn't look like that quite worked out, Vince.
April 28, 2009 05:45PM
eeek
Vince

Doesn't look like that quite worked out, Vince.

Good thing! Turned out to be not a bad snowpack.
November 23, 2007 08:00AM
Even in low snowfall years, I'm fairly certain that the NPS keeps the road closed until after the annual Road Crack Seal migration is over. [Sorry, I couldn't resist.]

Seriously, as I recall, the road closure gate is just past the Yosemite Institute facility (located where the Old Big Oak Flat Road intersects the Tioga Road). This is approximately 2/3 of a mile along the road from the Crane Flat gas station (the present day Big Oak Flat Road - Tioga Road intersection).

There have been 5 road opening dates in April since 1933, so your chances are not too good unless your other car is a snowcat:
http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login