All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar The Sixteen Hour Babble Marathon
May 22, 2011 07:24PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-cellphone-20110522,0,140357.story

One wonders if she was training for a Half Dome hike.
Wearily Yours)
The Marmots
avatar Re: The Sixteen Hour Babble Marathon
May 23, 2011 11:50AM
Why is one-sided cell phone conversation so much louder than the conversations two people would have sitting next to each other?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 23, 2011 12:03PM
Some people are just LOUD.

I can also see people talking LOUD on the phone if they have the volume on the phone turned up.
May 23, 2011 12:51PM
As someone who used to take the commuter bus from Santa Rosa to San Francisco every day, there are ways to stop people from being rude. And I commend Amtrack for their final decision.

The general, unofficial rule on the commuter bus was you could talk quietly between getting on and the last stop before we hit the freeway. After that, you were expected to read your book, watch your movie (with headphones), or sleep quietly. Any cell phone calls that came in during that time should be very brief, and very quiet.

Occasionally there would be a new person on the bus, and they would be the type to talk loudly the whole way home. For most people, a chorus of "Shhhhhh!" was enough to get them to comply. But I have seen people get into a loud argument over it. The bus driver would usually give them a stern look, and that would settle it. But once, to many cheers, the driver pulled over and kicked someone off the bus (at a bus stop).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login