All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tips for Late Winter/Early Spring with a Toddler
February 25, 2008 12:33PM
Hi All,
I have a 4 night 3 day trip planned with my pregnant wife and 2 year old for late March into early April. It's been a decade or so since I've been to Yosemite, and I've never been at that time of year, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. We have reservations for a Curry Village Cabin w/ bathroom. Is that a good choice? Are the cabins relatively quiet that time of year?

2. What hikes are typically open then and relatively safe--keeping in mind my wife will be 4-5months pregnant (but in good shape winking smiley and I'll be hiking with toddler in a backpack.

3. Any suggestions for things to do/see at that time of year, with the company I'll have?

Thank you in advance for your help!
avatar Re: Tips for Late Winter/Early Spring with a Toddler
February 25, 2008 01:19PM
Uncle Dong,

1. There will be many things to do on the valley floor. I won't go into them here but when you get there just ask.

2. What you can do outside of the valley will be dependent on the amount of snow that remains at the end of March. The short hike on Old Big Oak Flat Road to the Tuolumne Grove for a look at the big trees is doable.

3. Go up to Badger and check things out. You might be able to do a little snowshoeing from there.

4. Go over the Hetch Hetchy. The trail across the dam and through the tunnel is rarely snowed over. You should be able to get in a trip to Wapama Falls.

Old Dude
February 25, 2008 03:18PM
mrcondron wrote:

> 3. Go up to Badger and check things out. You might be able to
> do a little snowshoeing from there.

It'll probably be closed.

Re: Tips for Late Winter/Early Spring with a Toddler
February 25, 2008 10:49PM
Badger may not be closed in late March, there's a heckuva lot of snow on the valley floor right now, and I remember them being open for late March visits. Not something to rely on though.

The cabin may be quiet (good choice, not a tent cabin), but Curry will be swamped with kids out on spring break, though probably mostly in big groups with adult supervision.

The 6-mile loop past Mirror Lake to Snow Creek Trail isn't bad for toddler/pregnant wife, and if your wife is a regular hiker you could probably still do the Nevada Falls hike...it will be just the John Muir trail up to Vernal fall, then the Mist trail to Nevada and back, and it's not easy, so use your own judgment, depending on how you can haul the toddler uphill, and how her 4-5 months effects her.

You could go up to Columbia Rock on the Upper Falls trail, though it's a strenuous uphill trail...shady though, and only a mile or so up.

The four mile trail up toward Glacier will be open partway, and it's a nice hike even though you can't go all the way up (steady uphill though). My son carried his 2 year old to the top in a backpack, so it can be done.

Much of the higher country is still closed at that time, but there's still plenty to do and see...the waterfalls should be tremendous.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Re: Tips for Late Winter/Early Spring with a Toddler
February 26, 2008 08:50AM
Gary,
Thanks! That's exactly the advice/tips I'm looking for. BTW, your Early Spring pics are amazing.
UncleD
March 06, 2008 06:30PM
Sierrafan wrote:

> Badger may not be closed in late March

What I'm hearing now is its last day will be March 30th.

March 06, 2008 06:41PM
eeek wrote:

> Sierrafan wrote:
>
> > Badger may not be closed in late March
>
> What I'm hearing now is its last day will be March 30th.

I'm looking to do the guided snowshoe walk before the end of the season, and Yosemite Today says that the Badger Pass season ends March 30.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login