Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hiking with my Dog

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 25, 2008 02:16PM
Hello Everyone!

I already know that pets are not allowed on MOST of the hiking trails and all of the "wilderness" areas. I also know of the regulations like pets allowed on paved trails only.

What I was wondering.....Is there a list of trails that do allow pets on them?

I just want my puppy to enjoy Yosemite as much as I do....while staying within the rules.

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Dan
February 25, 2008 02:58PM
Dan,

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Post Edited (02-25-08 14:59)

Old Dude
February 25, 2008 03:12PM
Yosemite is not dog-friendly. In the Valley, they are limited to the
paved bike trails, parking lots, and camping areas.

I don't much like the idea of having the dogs on bike trails. It's
fine in winter, but not a good idea in summer.

You can walk towards Mirror Lake, but the paved trail becomes
dirt just as you approach the lake. So you can't actually visit the
lake with your dog. You can only walk to the edge of it.

Although the JMT to Vernal Falls is paved, it's off-limits.

Not sure about the new trail to the base of Yosemite Falls. Much
of that is paved, so maybe...

I think Wawona is more relaxed. Not sure.

Keep away from wildlife (bears and coyotes in particular).

The National Forest system is completely different. If you want to
hike with your dog, it's generally not a problem.

February 25, 2008 03:57PM
I'm pretty sure that all of the Lower Yosemite Fall Trail and the paved trail to Bridalveil Fall is OK. Other than that, there are various places around the Valley.

Really though - Yosemite is going to quickly become boring if you only stick to the dog accessible areas.

February 25, 2008 10:29PM
We took our little dog with us the first time we camped in the valley at North Pines. Since they allowed dogs, we assumed it would work out fine.

While you can have them at the campground, of course you have to take them with you when you go anywhere. This rules out the shuttle bus, and most trails. The trail from the Lodge to Mirror Lake is paved, and the walkways that go around the valley floor are paved, so it's not as though you can't do anything, but you may not be able to do what you want.

I didn't like this idea when I discovered how little we could do, but after thinking about it, it's probably for the best. Aside from wildlife issues, you know people will let their dogs run loose, not clean up after them, and since peoples' dogs are like their kids, they generally can do no wrong, as long as you ask the owner.

So we make other arrangements for our dog now, instead of bringing her and wishing we could do more things.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login