Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Re: Hiking shoes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 06, 2008 05:47PM
not so much hiking i guess, but more of a shoe that has really good gripping ability when jumping from rock to rock (along creeks etc). is there a particular type of sole that is best? if so, could you please go so far as to post a link of one?

thanks for any help
March 06, 2008 06:51PM
Wow. There are way too many variables. Most shoe companies just specify standards and their manufacturers buy from local suppliers, but since most are made in Asia or Eastern Europe, it could be unpredictable.

I've found that most hiking specific rubber soles marketed by the Italian company Vibram are good in wet conditions. Most of my Vibram branded soles are on Merrell boots/shoes. I've worn the original Merrell Chameleon for a couple of years, and the sole is still doing well. I've taken it in mud as well as a few shallow stream crossings. I did find out that waterproof on the outside also means waterproof on the inside, after a torrential downpour at Everglades National Park forced me to take them off and wring my socks. They have a variety of versions of the Chameleon, but all have the similar Vibram soles that are only used by Merrell. For the most part, I find that a little bit of wear from walking on pavement will improve the wet grip.

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/Mens-Active-Footwear/Hiking/Mens/Chameleon-Wrap-Gore-Tex-XCR.aspx

March 06, 2008 11:54PM
thanks y_p_w

i actually have a pair of Merrell hiking shoes that look very simular to your photos. i'm not sure though of what the sole is made of, i'll have to check it out. ... thanks for you in put.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login