Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Thoughts on hiking solo

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Thoughts on hiking solo
June 22, 2011 10:14PM
What’s All This Solo Hiking Stuff, Anyhow?
Bob Pease
June 16, 2011

... Bring water. Bring water purifying pills. A little food. Enough warm clothes (and a sleeping bag in winter). Bring a whistle. And, bring a watch.

Now, why would you want to bring a watch and spoil the unplanned, un-organized fun of a spontaneous hike? One serious reason: So you know when to turn around! You need to plan when to turn around and not fudge this time very much.

http://electronicdesign.com/article/analog-and-mixed-signal/What-s-All-This-Solo-Hiking-Stuff-Anyhow-.aspx
avatar Re: Thoughts on hiking solo
June 23, 2011 02:20PM
I will carry a SPOT when I go solo. I also have a small "survival kit".

The bottom line, one should always be prepared to stay longer that planned. If you can't survive for many extra days you are risking more than I think anyone should.
June 30, 2011 08:19PM
Bob Pease was a very well-known analog electronics expert who wrote a regular column in EDN magazine. They were always titled "What's All This XXXXX Stuff, Anyway?". The topic varied, and it was usually about electronics. I always found his columns entertaining. In fact, I read the mag mainly for those columns.

I use the past tense, because, sadly, Mr. Pease passed away recently. He crashed his 1970 VW bug on the way out from the memorial service for another famous electronics guy, Jim Williams. A terrible coincidence.
July 01, 2011 03:15AM
That is sad news indeed.

Here's a link to a San Jose Mercury News article about Bob Pease after his death. Pease died only two days after the publication of his column about hiking solo.

Mercury News: Silicon Valley chip legend dies in Saratoga crash

Sadly ironic, considering that his last column was about safety (when hiking solo), that the CHP reported that Pease wasn't wearing a seat belt when he drove his VW bug into a tree, dying instantly.
July 01, 2011 03:32AM
RobE
Bob Pease was a very well-known analog electronics expert who wrote a regular column in EDN magazine. They were always titled "What's All This XXXXX Stuff, Anyway?". The topic varied, and it was usually about electronics. I always found his columns entertaining. In fact, I read the mag mainly for those columns.

I use the past tense, because, sadly, Mr. Pease passed away recently. He crashed his 1970 VW bug on the way out from the memorial service for another famous electronics guy, Jim Williams. A terrible coincidence.

Not to deviate from the topic too much, but I am compelled to write a small and perhaps insignificant acknowledgement to RAP. As freshman designers, we would visit him... uh, often... to get his insight and feedback on things. Like many, I have a lot of stories abut him and, from him, about the various personalities that went through there. He was a very kind teacher and a hell of a story teller. I am sad to hear we lost him and I wanted to recognize him as well.
July 01, 2011 12:14AM
Whistle is one of the most essential, yet oft overlooked, item to bring with you. Simple enough to wear around your neck, and could be the difference. One of the final scenes of that Titanic film comes to mind instantly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login