Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Valley report - just got back

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Valley report - just got back
March 24, 2008 03:20PM
Boy, I know last year was way down on snow, but I was VERY suprised with how much snow is still on the valley trails! The drive in (Hwy 120): At the Crane Flat summit area (@6000 ft?) there was consistently 4 to 6 foot snow banks alongside the road! I saw 2 rangers heading out on skis at Merced Grove trailhead. I found the roadwork delays not so bad- 20 minutes one time and 5 another. The Valley: mostly snow free, there ARE some big patches and piles in the shade- maybe 10 percent of the Upper Pines sites were still snowy. It was fun watching the kids playing in it! The trails: On JMT I turned back about 10 switchback BEFORE Clarks Point- I had already sketched my wife across maybe 5 steep icy sections by that point (where many others were turning back), and decided to bag it. If I were alone I would have kept going, but it WAS sketchy. Few guys with those metal cleat things and poles were charging right up, no problem. Same story on 4 mile trail at about 2 miles up. Upper Yo Falls trail no worries, free and clear (as was that whole sunny side of the valley). Waterfalls and river: EPIC. 9 out of 10. Even the little ones like Cascade (Above the Awahnee) are raging. Weather was awesome, 55 in the day, 35 at night. Hope this helps! J.

avatar Re: Valley report - just got back
March 24, 2008 03:32PM
Not the same on the East side along Bishop Creek:

Intake Campground about 8100 feet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login