Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Photographers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 13, 2008 01:48PM
other than what you can shoot in the valley, what other places can you suggest for beautiful photo shots? one's that would be sellable? i'm willing to hike (been to Nevada Falls etc) but not to kill myself. lol just a day hike for some cool photos.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
April 13, 2008 05:27PM
Elizabeth Lake is very serene. The hike is pretty short, and the elevation gain from the trailhead is only around 1,000ft. The trail starts from within a campground near Tuolumne, I believe.

That was taken by hiking to the far side of the lake and then climbing/stumbling (haha) up a few hundred feet and then going out onto an outcropping. I didn't want to lug my DSLR up there since it was my first time doing the climb (didn't want to risk dropping it), but if I go again I'll bring my DSLR. This picture was taken with a $100 Canon A520.

Let me try and find a picture that shows where we were standing. If I can get find a good enough shot, I'll highlight where we were standing and the route we took to get to it.

Post Edited (04-13-08 17:28)
April 13, 2008 07:57PM

Well, it's somewhere in there :p I can't figure out which outcropping we were on, it's like finding a needle in a haystack
April 13, 2008 09:21PM
wow! nice area! i've never been there.
April 13, 2008 09:47PM
not sure why you would attempt to sell photos everyone else has already taken thousands of times.

Good luck, Mr. Adams Jr.
April 13, 2008 10:32PM
The beauty of photography is that a camera, in the right hands, only needs to move a few feet, shoot a different time of day, or change any minute setting or method to achieve a completely new photo. Millions of people will take pictures in Yosemite, yet a skilled photographer can still produce something fresh and worth buying.
Re: Photographers
April 14, 2008 07:18AM
"Yet a skilled photographer can still produce something fresh and worth buying."

Wow, I could not agree more. I think Vince is missing the point along with his sarcastic reference to "Mr. Adams, Jr."

While I'm not looking to sell any photos, that doesn't keep me from taking thousands of new ones each year in YNP. 999 might be discarded, but each year I seem to take a few that show something a little different than anything I've seen. Or at least one for my own collection. I'm sure I have several thousand digital and pre-digital photos of all parts of the park - even the High Sierras - over the past 20 years. Of those, I probably have less than 20 that are not run-of-the-mill. But those 20 caught something for me that I had not seen before.

Every year, or so, I'll see a postcard or a photograph in one of the valley stores that is different enough to make me want to buy it. Not often, but that's why people should keep trying. "Something fresh" is out there somewhere. I'm not saying it will be easy to produce, but I hope people keep trying.

Bill
April 14, 2008 11:11AM
Vince wrote:

> not sure why you would attempt to sell photos everyone else has
> already taken thousands of times.
>
> Good luck, Mr. Adams Jr.

I've sold this one:

It's certainly been photographed a few million times winking smiley

April 14, 2008 08:35AM
Vince obviously doesn't have any artistic or creative juices. lol
April 14, 2008 02:38PM
Great shot eeek smiling smiley Is that film? It looks like film.
Re: Photographers
April 14, 2008 08:29PM
In Vince's defense, there's almost nowhere in the park that someone hasn't been, and most will have a camera, so just going to a "scenic" place and taking photos isn't going to make them sell.

Marketing and photography are two entirely different things; if you really want to make money at it, find a market first, then shoot whatever the market demands. It will take all the enjoyment out of photography most likely, but that's pretty much the way it works.

I'm guessing you enjoy photography, and wouldn't mind making money at it while you have fun...a lot of people feel exactly that way, but it's not as simple as going to some scenic place, because there are a zillion other photographers out there also.

If you "know" somebody with a gallery, or coffee shop, or store that will display your photos, you can sometimes sell some that way...but again, a photo of some backcountry scenic lake isn't going to outsell a pic of Half Dome, so why worry about out of the way places?

If the above is true, I'd suggest looking through a couple of hike books to find some hikes or locations that sound like you'd really enjoy them, in line with the distance you're willing to go. Then go, and take your camera. Go early, or stay late, keep your "photo-eye" open, take your time, and look for things unique, not necessarily just "pretty scenes". Most folks who enjoy photography, put some effort into their own unique shots, and stick with it over time, will sell some photos here and there...but frankly, it doesn't matter because they shoot for the love of photography, not for the big bucks.

Most any place will do for getting good photos, the marketing is up to you.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login