Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road Plowing Report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga Road Plowing Report
April 14, 2008 08:14AM
Is "The Road" being plowed yet? Those of us who need the high country need reassurance.

Thanks
April 14, 2008 09:29AM
with the heat of the last couple days .. and March having been one of the dryest on record it certainly gets ya to thinkin' about an early opening

April 16, 2008 12:28AM
Hi guys,

So have they started the actual plowing yet? I read in yosemite blog the estimated starting date was yesterday. We are planning a visit the last week of may and are travelling halfway around the world to hopefully see Tioga pass.... I will keep a close watch on developments via this website!
April 26, 2008 03:30PM
After the road is open is not really the best time to see Tioga Pass, quizmaster. It's much nicer just before the road is open, as you can drive up rather close from the eastern side out of Lee Vining and walk the rest of the way to the park. There are no cars, no trucks, no Harleys - just you and the park. It can't be beat!!!
avatar Re: Tioga Road Plowing Report
April 16, 2008 11:46AM
So far there has been no word on the plowing. Though I did hear a rumor that they'd be starting a few days late.

April 16, 2008 11:55AM
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm [i think this is the page you can bookmark for almost daily updated info and photos of the park service's progress]

April 17, 2008 12:46PM
Still no reports on the plowing (or even if it has started). I did find this article:

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/view/71519/27/

April 17, 2008 11:21PM
Hmmmm.... seems like there is at least some delay. Too bad....
April 18, 2008 04:20AM
quizmaster wrote:

> Hmmmm.... seems like there is at least some delay. Too bad....

Maybe...maybe not though. In past years the reports weren't always forthcoming. So it may just be that whomever is supposed to be posting the reports just hasn't gotten around to it.

April 18, 2008 08:34AM
I've read on another page that Plowing has started.
http://www.yosemitefun.com/weather_in_yosemite.htm

see around the middle of the page. It's not an official page, but it's the only thing I've seen. I wish they would confirm it!!!!
April 18, 2008 08:41AM
also has anyone tried calling the Yosemite road info number?
209-372-0200

I would but it is super long distance for me!
April 18, 2008 07:15PM
That number just says it's closed. No further info is given :\
April 18, 2008 07:31PM
I hope it opens early. I alway like to get an early trip in before the crowds hit. I've never done the north rim before so this year I'm heading to Porcupine Flat, North Dome, Yosemite Point, Eagle Peak, El Capitain, and down to the valley via the Falls trail. I'll take a few days and just hang out in all those cool spots.
April 21, 2008 12:17AM
The reports leave you pretty much in the dark... Too bad, there is a lot of interest in the progress... Hope it opens early too!!!
April 21, 2008 10:29AM
it got a little cooler in the last week , but still very temporate and storm-free , which means everthing still posative toward an early opening .
April 25, 2008 08:57PM
Lucrativ wrote:

> it got a little cooler in the last week , but still very
> temporate and storm-free , which means everthing still posative
> toward an early opening .

There was snow about 6000' on Wednesday. I saw it with my own eyes.

April 26, 2008 05:12PM
Friday I drove from Modesto to Carson City via 88. The snow started on the west side at 6100' with what I would call full coverage even on the southern slopes varying maybe from 1-4' deep. The snow continued like this until about Kirkwood where things lightened up. Silver Lake is still frozen over. East of Kirkwood, even though at 7000' plus, the snow disappeared rather quickly.

This coupled with the snow we saw in the Aspen Valley up through Bald Mountain and the South Fork Tuolumne River last weekend makes me think the snow cover above 7000' will be with us into June. The plowing of 120 will slow down as they get farther east.

Old Dude
April 21, 2008 03:40PM
Here is how Monitor Pass (elev 8300) appeared a week ago. Snow still hip deep but not enough to keep the ploughs and subsequent motorcycle groups) away. Tioga Pass can't be too far from opening, maybe a month I would guess?

April 22, 2008 04:56PM
I looked at the Tioga Pass Web Cam a few minutes ago and it appears they may be getting a little snow in the area. Really overcast and dreary looking up there. Still a lot on the ground too.
April 23, 2008 01:52AM
Monitor pass looks promising. The NPS site with a "plowing report" doesn't show anything though... Keep hoping! winking smiley
April 23, 2008 08:41AM
They may have had a pretty good snow during the night at Tioga. This morning when I looked at the cam the lens was mostly blocked.
http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/TiogaCam.htm
April 23, 2008 10:27AM
trace amounts smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login