All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Most scenic route from San Fran
April 14, 2008 02:54PM
So, what route is your favorite? I believe when I went last year I was forced to take 140 due to some rock slide or something, but I hear 120 is open now? Or was it the other way around?

Anyway, what's your favorite route to take? We'll be driving a newer VW GTI with a manual transmission, so that could make things more fun smiling smiley
avatar Re: Most scenic route from San Fran
April 14, 2008 03:11PM
140 from Mariposa to the Arch Rock entrance is generally considered the most scenic; there's the automated controls around the rock slide in addition to other construction delays right now. I also consider the section of 140 from Merced to Mariposa pretty interesting with gentle rolling hills and farmland.

120 is generally the fastest way in from San Francisco. The twisties on the new Priest Grade could be interesting.

Honestly - the most scenic route to Yosemite Valley is 120 from the East entrance. Tioga Pass should definitely be on your itinerary if you have enough time.

April 14, 2008 03:36PM
It's not just on the itinerary, it's the priority winking smiley. I've been to Yosemite twice, but only to the high country once. Even then, I only spent a limited amount of time there. This time, I want to go all the way to where I can get a view of Mono Lake, assuming snow isn't still everywhere (May 27-29).
Re: Most scenic route from San Fran
April 14, 2008 03:52PM
All of the routes to Yosemite are my favorites. Although it would be out of your way coming from San Francisco, Hwy 41 has that awesome Tunnel View of the valley which is second to none.
April 14, 2008 04:24PM
Louis wrote:

> All of the routes to Yosemite are my favorites. Although it
> would be out of your way coming from San Francisco, Hwy 41 has
> that awesome Tunnel View of the valley which is second to none.

That could be part of any itinerary even without going through Oakhurst and the Southern Yosemite Highway. Same with Tioga Pass even if you don't pass through the East entrance.

Here are my shots of Lembert Dome and Tenaya Lake:

April 15, 2008 10:06AM
a lot of times, i enter by hwy 120, and go home on hwy 140 (i live in Manteca, Ca.). it isn't that much longer going home on 140 and the views are sometimes worth it (depending on the year, spring time flowers are fantastic).

hwy 120 is faster though.
Re: Most scenic route from San Fran
April 15, 2008 10:49AM
sticking to the 49 between priests grade and mariposa would be a curvacious option [scenic too] . that way you could also see/drive the merced river canyon (140) which many bay-area visitors neglect .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login