Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: chubby girl hikes.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

chubby girl hikes.
April 14, 2008 07:12PM
sooo... this will be my third year going to yosemite with my boyfriend. we're up the first week of may. i'm not in great shape, but of course i want to be able to partake in some nice hikes!! i was thinking, start with mirror lake, try vernal falls...

i'm 23, kinda active, working with kids, walking my dog... but i just would like to know where i should start, and i KNOW someday i will make it to the yosemite falls hike!! but, maybe not this year! haha.

any advice would help! thanks!

April 14, 2008 08:38PM
that girl wrote:

> i'm 23, kinda active, working with kids, walking my dog... but
> i just would like to know where i should start, and i KNOW
> someday i will make it to the yosemite falls hike!! but, maybe
> not this year! haha.

You'll eventually make it. I happened to do it in the snow.

April 14, 2008 08:45PM
Mirror Lake is a good one...there's loop that goes back to the Snow Creek Trail intersection, then crosses Tenaya Creek and heads back to Mirror lake on the other side. 5 or 6 miles, not steep, very scenic.

Vernal Falls is a good hike, but there's a lot of huffing and puffing even before the lower bridge, as it's pretty steep. Once past the bridge, the Mist trail is beautiful but steep, and some of the steps are large
http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/image/61297012
An option would be to take the John Muir trail instead, to Clark Point, for a great view of Nevada Falls and the surrounding area. It's steady uphill, but just switchbacks instead of steps. You may have the optioin of heading down to the mist trail for the return (if it's open, check at the Visitor's Center), but those steps are just as big going down.

The Four-mile trail is nice, and not as strenuous as the Upper Yosemite Falls trail, but it will probably only be open about 2/3 the way up, to Union Point...still a nice hike though.

Sounds like you've gotten the "word" about the Yosemite falls hike; it's definitely a tough one, but you can go just to Columbia Point or a bit beyond to see the base of the upper falls, then back down. The nice part is that it's shady most of the way to Columbia Point.

Mariposa grove, out of the valley, is nice; it's a 2-mile uphill walk on a road, so not too hard and a nice change. There are hikes in the Wawona area also, if you need more ideas, that others may suggest.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
April 15, 2008 07:50AM
Hikes that are not frequently mentioned, but that are really excellent when taken on their own terms, are the Valley floor hikes. They involve walking over a combination of old paved and dirt trails, only gentle ups and downs, and they take you to views that are by turns spectacular and intimate. Here you find a beautiful oak-strewn meadow by the river, there a view of a giant waterfall; here an owl peering at you from a tree, there some Indian grinding mortars in a large flat boulder. In May, they should be as lovely as possible, and many stretches are surprisingly quiet.

The three loops are each about 6 miles long, and give you three different sections of the valley. They can be combined into longer 11 or 17 mile loops, as each one connects to and includes a portion of the adjavent loops. Other connections are possible as well, especially in the Upper Valley.

The first is the Lower Valley loop, which can start at Bridalveil Fall and takes you eastward along the south valley floor, past the Indian mortars and by the base of Cathedral Rocks and spires, then across the El Capitan Bridge and westward along El Capitan, near Ribbon Fall and a lovely wetland by the Pohono Bridge. Cross the bridge and then head back upstream to Bridalveil Fall. This loop is especially nice in autumn as well.

The second involves the El Capitan Bridge again, but takes in the area below Sentinel Fall and Rock, and then crosses the river at one of three bridges - Sentinel, Superintendent's, or Swinging Bridge. It reconnecst to the loop trail over near Yosemite Lodge, then heads back down by Yosemite Fall trailhead, below three brothers and back to El Capitan.

The third includes the major Upper Valley views, passing Curry Village, Happy Isles, Mirror Lake Junction, Royal Arches, and Lower Yosemite Fall. One of the most view-packed trails on earth. Mobs of people too, but that's the only real shortcoming.

Wildlife may be seen on all of these routes. We've seen bears, deer, squirrels, owls, hawks, snakes, many bird species on these walks, and recently people have been seeing bobcat(s) near the roadways and trails. How cool is that? :-)

If you bring bikes, you can ride on the paved bikeways. There is no better place to ride a bike anywhere. Please, always be courteous of foot-powered critters, both domesticated and wild.

All of these are on park maps, and I have yet to look, but are all probably described and mapped elsewhere on the web. All of these can be done by almost anybody who does not suffer a physical disability, and all of them offer the observant walker a wealth of discovery and joy. All for just basic effort. You might not even break a sweat, although the gentle exercise will help you in every way :-) Good luck, and have fun!

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
April 15, 2008 10:17AM
the trail to taft point (glacier point road) would be perfect for you . a fun easy hike with great views . post us again when you get back ok ?
April 15, 2008 07:01PM
thanks so much! i really am excited... the past two years we have gone in late june, into the first week of july - so this year i'm missing star gazing up in glacier point (roads aren't open yet!!) and treking around in tuolumne!! my favorites! early may will look completely different!

i am excited about the taft point hike, but i think the road to glacier might be closed still... yawning smiley(
April 17, 2008 11:05AM
In addition to Lucrativ's excellent recommendation of the Taft Point Hike, if the Glacier Point Road is open, another easy and scenic hike is Sentinel Dome. There are some great views from the top and it is a relatively easy hike and not too far. Plus you can use the same parking area for Taft Point. Here is a link to information about the hike.

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/SentinelDome_0000.asp

Summary: If fantastic views are what you want and you don't have the energy or time to hike to the top of Half Dome, Clouds Rest or other high places, then Sentinel Dome may be just what you are looking for. With only a few hundred feet of elevation gain and 2.2 mile round trip, Sentinel Dome makes for the perfect getaway. Standing at an elevation of 8122' it is nearly as tall as neighboring Half Dome (8836"winking smiley so the views from there are quite similar.

Bill
April 17, 2008 12:04PM
wbmyosemite wrote:

> In addition to Lucrativ's excellent recommendation of the Taft
> Point Hike, if the Glacier Point Road is open, another easy and
> scenic hike is Sentinel Dome. There are some great views from
> the top and it is a relatively easy hike and not too far. Plus
> you can use the same parking area for Taft Point. Here is a
> link to information about the hike.
>
> http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/SentinelDome_0000.asp
>
> Summary: If fantastic views are what you want and you don't
> have the energy or time to hike to the top of Half Dome, Clouds
> Rest or other high places, then Sentinel Dome may be just what
> you are looking for. With only a few hundred feet of elevation
> gain and 2.2 mile round trip, Sentinel Dome makes for the
> perfect getaway. Standing at an elevation of 8122' it is nearly
> as tall as neighboring Half Dome (8836"winking smiley so the views from
> there are quite similar.
>

Second that suggestion. The combined Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop walk is one of the best short hikes in the park, and makes you feel like you're on top of the world. Plus, you can *see* Half Dome from there! About 5 miles RT.

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login