Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Deaths in National Parks

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 25, 2011 05:47AM
(not specifically Yosemite, so posted under General Discussion forum)

How do you explain park deaths? You can't.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/ct-talk-brotman-yosemite-0725-20110725,0,2421265.column

....The boulder I sat on to admire the view turned out to be loose. It rolled, breaking my hip and pelvis. It trapped my leg and dragged me toward the edge of the canyon a few feet away. And it would have taken me over the edge if a skinny pinyon pine at the edge hadn't stopped it....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Deaths in National Parks
July 25, 2011 08:01AM
Last week, to a small group of people, I made the same observation as that seen in the fourth and third paragraphs from the end of the article. One person went completely wacko/defensive over my comment.
July 25, 2011 09:30AM
I'm sure more people die on the streets of Chicago each day then in National Parks.
July 25, 2011 10:18AM
different environment, different risks, different learned survival skills
July 25, 2011 10:23AM
and completely irrelevant to this topic.
July 25, 2011 10:31AM
szalkowski
Last week, to a small group of people, I made the same observation as that seen in the fourth and third paragraphs from the end of the article. One person went completely wacko/defensive over my comment.

About what? That people who visit National Parks in large groups don't do their homework beforehand?
July 25, 2011 03:15PM
A lot of people tend to let their collective guard down while on vacation. There was a woman who lost sight of where she was while taking a photo in Yellowstone Canyon and fell off a cliff. Unfortunately these things happen.
July 25, 2011 03:46PM
y_p_w
A lot of people tend to let their collective guard down while on vacation. There was a woman who lost sight of where she was while taking a photo in Yellowstone Canyon and fell off a cliff. Unfortunately these things happen.

I think a good number of people are just absent-minded and oblivious to their surroundings in general, vacation or no vacation. It's just that out in the wilderness this inattention to one's surrounding can be fatal, unfortunately.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.