Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: The GPS: A Fatally Misleading Travel Companion

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar The GPS: A Fatally Misleading Travel Companion
August 02, 2011 03:11PM
companion suction-cupped to their dashboard: a GPS. But when dozens of abandoned dirt roads lie between you and that destination, things can get tricky. That's what Donna Cooper, of Pahrump, Nev., discovered last July on a day trip to Death Valley.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/26/137646147/the-gps-a-fatally-misleading-travel-companion
August 02, 2011 05:35PM
I read about a DV ranger who worked with a couple of the major mapping companies to remove a lot of dead end and other unsafe roads from those GPS units. But it was a woman, not the guy in this story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 05:43PM by hotrod4x5.
avatar Re: The GPS: A Fatally Misleading Travel Companion
August 02, 2011 10:24PM
Sigh...

The problem is more with people not using their brains and just delegating all the decision to a fallible machine.

I remember when I got my first Garmin car GPS. For kicks I had it programed to take me from home to the Yosemite Lodge (which I already knew how to get there), Besides wanting me to go from Hwy 120 to Hwy 99 to Hwy 140 instead of sticking to Hwy 120 all the way to Yosemite, its biggest gaffe happened when I was already in Yosemite Valley on Southside Drive. Instead of instructing me to make a left over Sentinel Bridge to head over to the Yosemite Lodge, it instructed me to make a left and take Swinging Bridge over the Merced and then the bike path to Yosemite Lodge!

If that women in the story above was driving my car, I think she probably would have!

For goodness sakes, didn't this women realize that something was seriously wrong when the GPS instructed her to go off road? Geesh... Some people truly are just lemmings.
avatar Re: The GPS: A Fatally Misleading Travel Companion
August 04, 2011 05:36PM
August 05, 2011 10:54PM
chick-on
Maybe this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,31823
That's it, I knew there was a woman ranger in one of the DV stories.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login