All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Springtime Hiking Advice
May 04, 2008 06:28AM
I will be in Yosemite from May 9- May 11, next weekend, and I'm hoping the experts here can help me figure out what the best options are for dayhiking this time of the year. I run 3 times a week and backpack on the weekends so difficulty is not an issue. What I'd like to do is find a hike or two for each day. On Friday I'll only be there half the day so I was thinking of the Mist Trail to start the weekend.

Sat:
I was hoping to go up 4 Mile trail to Glacier Point and down Panorama but it's not clear to me if 4 Mile trail is open yet. I've also been looking at Yosemite Falls.

Sun:
Suggestions welcome!!

Thanks! Friday can't get here soon enough.

Re: Springtime Hiking Advice
May 05, 2008 11:18AM
Greg, read my trip report post from May 02. The 4-mile trail is not open yet, unfortunately. I spoke to the ranger who said it would likely be the end of May until it is open, as they are still working on clearing it and making it suitable to hike. Also, based on my hike up Yosemite Falls to El Cap, there is likely still a LOT of snow on that side along the Panorama trail.

Like I mentioned, I did hike up the Falls Trail, which is snow-free. That would be a good option. But going much further than the falls could be a mistake unless you are really good with a map and compass!

We also were there 3 days, and on Friday, we hiked up to Inspiration Point from the Tunnel View parking lot, then down to Bridalvail fall, then back up to the parking lot. No snow anywhere on that trail. If you don't want to do basically 2 out-and-backs, you could probably keep going up, but I don't know where the snow line begins. That was about 8.5 miles.

Saturday was Yosemite Falls to El Cap, and Sunday, we hiked around Mirror Lake (nice leisurely day to relax after a tough Saturday). We also drove up to Glacier point and hiked up Sentinel Dome. Superb views from there!

Post Edited (05-05-08 11:25)
Re: Springtime Hiking Advice
May 08, 2008 06:27PM
Thank you for the reply and the hiking ideas! It is very appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login