Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hiking to Sentinel Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiking to Sentinel Dome
May 05, 2008 10:54AM
I am planning a trip to Yosemite the coming weekend (May 10th). Now that the Glacier Point Road is open, I wonder if the hiking trail condition is fine for a hike to the top of the Sentinel dome or the Tafts Point? Anyone has any input? Thanks!
May 05, 2008 11:03AM
You have impeccable post-timing Bear! I was just up there, and yes, the trail to Sentinel Dome is open. I did not go to Taft point, so I cannot comment on that, but we were able to make it to Sentinel Dome. There is still some snow, but the trail is very easy to follow. The hike up the dome proper is snow covered, which made for a slippery but interesting last pitch. It was fun to glissade back down though! Amazing views right now too. Again, I'd post pics, but I don't know how to on this site sad smiley
May 07, 2008 10:02AM
Hi Cthenn2,

Thanks for the post. So based on your experience, do you think people need to take some special equipments in order to hike to the top of the dome? Is the trail very muddy with melted snow or is it still pretty much covered by snow? Also what does 'glissade back down' imply? My travel mate is a lady and she is a bit concerned if it is safe to hike to the top of the dome and back.

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Talking Bear

May 07, 2008 01:19PM
TalkingBear wrote:

> Hi Cthenn2,
>
> Thanks for the post. So based on your experience, do you think
> people need to take some special equipments in order to hike to
> the top of the dome?

Heck no! It's completely a walk-up dome. Very easy, just don't wander too far to the west side!!

>Is the trail very muddy with melted snow
> or is it still pretty much covered by snow? Also what does
> 'glissade back down' imply? My travel mate is a lady and she is
> a bit concerned if it is safe to hike to the top of the dome
> and back.

Not muddy at all. The trail from the parking lot goes over some pine-needle covered ground, not at all muddy. There is some snow on the trail which you need to traverse across (walk across a side-slope), and some snow on the final pitch up the actual granite dome, but it is very hard-packed snow and will easily hold your weight. It can be slippery if you are being careless, but it's more fun walking around on the snow than it is difficult or scary.

Glissading is basically just sliding down a snow covered slope without skis...on your butt or feet or whatever...we just did it because it was fun, it is not at all dangerous.

>
> Any information would be highly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Talking Bear
>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login