All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 2004 Trip Questions
March 22, 2004 11:33PM
<HTML>Hello,

I am planning a trip to Yosemite for Easter weekend (April 9-11) and have a few questions for the experts:

How is the waterfall flow this time of year or this year in particular?

Is there or will there be a lot of visible snow or snow to play in?

Regarding the rock fall on the John Muir trail, you mentioned the horse trail being used as an alternate route. Does this lengthen or shorten the distance of the trail? Last time we hiked the Mist Trail up and took the John Muir trail back down to Happy Isles. Will we still be able to do this route? How will it effect us?

Also, does the park get noticably more crowded during these "Spring Break" weeks?

Thank you so much in advance for your response(s). Rick's post in particular have been helpful.

Edward</HTML>
avatar Re: April 2004 Trip Questions
March 23, 2004 12:44PM
<HTML>Edward wrote:

> I am planning a trip to Yosemite for Easter weekend (April
> 9-11) and have a few questions for the experts:
>
> How is the waterfall flow this time of year or this year in
> particular?

While it won't be the spring melt they should be pretty good. You can check the Merced River's flow here:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/plotReal?staid=HIB

> Is there or will there be a lot of visible snow or snow to
> play in?

The Valley floor won't have snow (well, it could) but you'll find plenty at the high elevations.

> Regarding the rock fall on the John Muir trail, you mentioned
> the horse trail being used as an alternate route. Does this
> lengthen or shorten the distance of the trail? Last time we
> hiked the Mist Trail up and took the John Muir trail back
> down to Happy Isles. Will we still be able to do this
> route? How will it effect us?

It only closes the part of the trail from the Vernal Falls bridge to Happy Isles. The Mist Trail is closed in winter anyway due to ice and the John Muir trail is closed from Clark Point to the top of Nevada Falls.

> Also, does the park get noticably more crowded during these
> "Spring Break" weeks?

It gets more people but I don't remember it ever really being all that crowded.</HTML>

Re: When will Mist Trail reopen?
March 23, 2004 12:50PM
<HTML>Thank you for the quick response....

When does the Mist Trail typically reopen?

That was my favorite part of my last trip to Yosemite.

I read before that it was closed in Winter, but I did not consider April to be Winter.

Thanks again,

Edward</HTML>
avatar Re: When will Mist Trail reopen?
March 23, 2004 01:10PM
<HTML>Edward wrote:

> When does the Mist Trail typically reopen?

I think it opens in early May. Of course it depends on the weather.</HTML>

March 23, 2004 01:24PM
<HTML>Rick,

I'm very disappointed to hear this! I may opt to postpone my trip until the Mist Trail reopens.

Is there any chance it could be open by April 9th-11th? I know we have had some unseasonably warm weather this year.

Where could I get more detailed/updated information?

Thanks,

Edward</HTML>
March 23, 2004 01:32PM
<HTML>You could try calling the park at 209 372-0200.</HTML>

April 03, 2004 07:36PM
<HTML>I hope you dont cancel! It is supposed to be beautiful in the park right now- mist is open and there is only patches of snow in Little Yosemite Valley- lets hope it stays that way. But the ranger was very optimistic that we would have a great backpacking trip next weekend.</HTML>
April 03, 2004 10:13PM
<HTML>Edward wrote:

> When does the Mist Trail typically reopen?

Good news! It is open now.</HTML>

April 27, 2005 01:58PM
Yes, the Mist Trail is open.
We just returned from Yosemite on 4/17. I've personally been to this heavenly place 9 times, but I must admit that I had never seen it during early-mid April before this trip. What Kimberly2u is true--it's by far the best time of the year to experience Yosemite. You get a hint of both beautiful seasons (winter and spring), and hesitantly intertwining constantly.

It was snowing lightly from the South entrance to the valley. But once it stopped (after just a few hours), it was sunshine all the way. Nights can get get quite chilly. We've posted some photos for friends. But we hope it can also help others get an idea of what to expect.
http://marwinspass.blogspot.com

Cheers and happy vacationing,

Mario Con

-----------------------------------
Not I - not anyone else, can travel that road for you. You must travel it yourself. ~ Walt Whitman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login