Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sonora Pass

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 09, 2008 09:56AM
Sonora Pass is open. Which is great because it's the only pass in the Sierra I haven't driven yet.

SR 108
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA
May 09, 2008 10:28AM
Take it - it's truly spectacular! I love that it's very steep and winding - much different than the Tioga Pass road and impassible for mobile homes and large trucks.
May 09, 2008 10:32AM
I think I'll head up there Sat or Sun. I would like to see The Columns of the Giants with snow on the talus.
May 09, 2008 11:32AM
I went over Sonora Pass last summer and there was a semi with a 53' trailer stuck on one of the hairpin turns. Fortunately there was room for me to get by. I can't imagine what a wrecker had to do to get the guy out.

Post Edited (05-09-08 12:36)

Old Dude
May 09, 2008 12:32PM
So which is better, Tioga or Sonora, I might have to make the choice if Tioga isn't open by the 31st?
May 09, 2008 01:05PM
Sonora Pass is the high point of California route 108 and goes across the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range east/west just to the north of Yosemite. If your intention is to get to Yosemite, then taking 108 (the Sonora Pass road) would put you quite a bit out of your way. Highway 120 runs through Yosemite Park and its high point is Tioga Pass. Highway 120 is called that until it gets to Yosemite Park then it becomes Big Oak Flat Road although it is still California State Highway 120. Inside the Park a few miles 120 also becomes Tioga Road as it passes through the park and exits at the Tioga Pass entrance station. 120 continues to Highway 395 where it terminates.
If you are coming from San Francisco and are heading to Yosemite Park you would want to take 120 to the park and stay on 120 if you want to go to Tuolumne Meadow skipping the valley floor. If you want to go the the valley floor then you have to leave 120 at Crane Flat and stay on Big Oak Flat road all the way to the valley floor. There is plenty of signage so no worries.

Post Edited (05-09-08 16:35)

Old Dude
May 09, 2008 01:39PM
the curves on the east side are crazy , but it's fun . mellow vibe - away from the yosemite frenzy
May 09, 2008 04:17PM
Lucrativ wrote:

> but it's fun .

Not if you are following a huge RV.

May 09, 2008 04:47PM
Probably better following a huge RV than to have it following you at close range. : )
May 09, 2008 04:56PM
Sonora Pass is my favorite. Fewer people and the scenery is great. More than once I've been on my way to Tioga and decided to turn on Hwy 108 instead. Be sure to stop at the LeavittFalls Overlook if you go that route.
May 09, 2008 06:26PM
What do you think, Up the 4 and down the 108, or up the 108 and down the 4 (starting from Reno)
May 10, 2008 07:48AM
We prefer up 108 and back 4. If you have time be sure and stop by Big Trees on 4.
May 10, 2008 08:36AM
SP gets you to the Kannedy Resort jump off point too, I believe.
(for trips into the Emigrant Wldnss, among other things).

It's also a nifty access into the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness ... from the south, on the PCT ...

Schaffer describes that route (PCT northbound from SP) as fairly treacherous in early spring ...

must get there someday ...

No doubt abut it, the scenery in and around SP is worth the trip!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login