All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Potential gold mine near Bodie
August 17, 2011 07:07PM
AUGUST 18, 2011
Gold Fever Stirs Ghost Town

Proposal to Ease Land Protections Could Clear Path for New California Mine.

BY JUSTIN SCHECK

BODIE, Calif.—A push for gold mining to return to the scrubby hills around this Central California ghost town has tapped into a national debate over land use.

Residents and officials near Bodie have been sparring for months over a New York company's plans to explore the area for a potential gold mine. The recent surge in gold's value and a bill pending in Congress are giving the fight new significance.

The measure would remove more than 40 million acres nationwide—including the Bodie Hills—from federal "Wilderness Study Area" and "Inventoried Roadless Area" protection, potentially opening the land for mining, logging and ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904070604576514482749037182.html?mod=WSJ_hps_editorsPicks_2
avatar Re: Potential gold mine near Bodie
August 17, 2011 07:10PM
KenS
Proposal to Ease Land Protections Could Clear Path for New California Mine.

Great. Tear up the land and pollute just to get a mostly useless shiny metal that we already have plenty of.
August 18, 2011 10:23AM
eeek

Great. Tear up the land and pollute just to get a mostly useless shiny metal that we already have plenty of.

If you have some of this mostly useless shiny metal lying around your house, just let me know. I'l send you an adress where you can mail it to.

I'll gladly take it off your hands, at no charge. wink
Re: Potential gold mine near Bodie
August 17, 2011 07:10PM
Logging near Bodie? That going to tough without any trees in the area.Chick-on avec les pieds
August 17, 2011 07:20PM
ERICG
Logging near Bodie? That going to tough without any trees in the area.Chick-on avec les pieds

It didn't say anything about logging near Bodie.
August 18, 2011 10:07AM
Just going off of the OP's statement.( potentially opening the land for mining, logging )
August 18, 2011 10:14AM
Actually the hills around Bodie used to be full of trees -- until they were ALL chopped down for the construction of Bodie and its mine.
August 18, 2011 12:12PM
ERICG
Just going off of the OP's statement.( potentially opening the land for mining, logging )

You missed the part about 40 million acres?
August 18, 2011 01:37PM
Really eeek? Is it that important to you to try to find fault in each and every reply to a topic. Please eek, lighten up and don't be such a stick in the mud!Sarcasm sign
avatar What happens next with Bodie Hills?
August 19, 2011 03:07PM
Following last week’s heated meeting regarding the Bodie Hills and other national Wilderness Study Areas (WSA), the MT asked all five of the Mono County Supervisors to weigh in on the future of the process. Here is what they had to say, in their own words.

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/what-happens-next-bodie-hills
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login