Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Water Purification

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 28, 2011 08:42PM
Some recent interesting water treatment information from a conference I attended recently on Wilderness Medicine:

1. best source of water in the Sierra is from the top 6-12 inches of lakes uncontaminated by lake sediment, not the fast moving part of streams because that water layer in lakes is subject to UV radiation and the fast moving part of streams may have contain spores and pathogens kicked up from deeper stream sediments disturbed by water motion
2. water can be adequately purified, especially if it is clear and has low concentrations of pathogens by merely bringing it to a boil (even at altitude)
3. most contaminated Sierra streams are contaminated from stock and cattle rather than from indigenous animal species
4. there is increasing concern about fertilizer or manure nitrate contamination of watersheds and subsequent overgrowth of algae that can contaminate water with toxins that cannot be removed by heat, filtration or common chemical treatment. One recent episode occurred on Klammath River. No known problem watersheds in the Sierra at present according to my source.

Some interesting alternative methods to purify water (not all necessarily appropriate for backpacking)

solar water purifier technique:
http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN

the Miox system (electrical generation of chlorine dioxide, as I understand the technology):
http://www.miox.com/miox-solutions/MSR-MIOX-Purifier-Pen.aspx

microtubular (dialysis filter) technology:
http://www.sawyerpointonefilters.com/hollow-fiber-membranes.php
(not for freezing conditions)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2011 08:44PM by eeek.
August 28, 2011 09:01PM
Frank Furter
Some recent interesting water treatment information from a conference I attended recently on Wilderness Medicine:
[...]
4. there is increasing concern about fertilizer or manure nitrate contamination of watersheds and subsequent overgrowth of algae that can contaminate water with toxins that cannot be removed by heat, filtration or common chemical treatment. One recent episode occurred on Klammath River. No known problem watersheds in the Sierra at present according to my source.

Years ago I was exploring around in the Klamath River area, above I-5, and was quite disturbed to find Iron Gate Reservoir far too disgusting to even consider swimming in. That watershed is in deep trouble, mostly because of its upper section.
August 28, 2011 09:19PM
ttilley
Frank Furter
[...]

Years ago I was exploring around in the Klamath River area, above I-5, and was quite disturbed to find Iron Gate Reservoir far too disgusting to even consider swimming in. That watershed is in deep trouble, mostly because of its upper section.

Have you read about what Reclamation wanted to do with the Klamath River? Cadilllac Desert has some interesting discussion of those plans and why they existed.
August 29, 2011 09:36PM
Just re-read it...wow. Flood the Hoopa Valley Reservation.
August 29, 2011 01:10AM
Frank Furter

Some interesting alternative methods to purify water (not all necessarily appropriate for backpacking)

microtubular (dialysis filter) technology:
http://www.sawyerpointonefilters.com/hollow-fiber-membranes.php
(not for freezing conditions)

I have the personal use version of this one. Works well. Extremely lightweight.

As you noted though -- shouldn't be used in freezing conditions, so probably not the best for cold weather camping (though if you keep the filter in your pants pocket I doubt it will come close to freezing).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login