Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Cloud's Rest conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 17, 2008 02:57PM
Anybody know what the conditions would be for hiking Cloud's Rest a little over a week from now? Snow depth (if any), average temperature to expect, gear needed (outside of the ordinary like water purification, med kit, extra clothes to be prepared for unexpected weather). I'm looking to buy a new pair of shoes and was wondering what people here recommend...

If Tioga Road is open I'd like to start the hike from near Tenaya lake.

Thanks everybody!
avatar Re: Cloud's Rest conditions
May 17, 2008 03:49PM
As for shoes I was thinking about these:

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gear.tcl?gear=Salomon-SpeedCross-2&gear_id=6041&action=showgear

I'm only 120 pounds and rarely if ever have pain in my feet, so I'm not too worried about cushioning. Mainly I want something that will be good for grip in the uneven, and usually slick, surfaces presented by Yosemite's plentiful granite.
May 17, 2008 04:25PM
You may run into patches of snow but I doubt there will be any showstoppers. Have a good topo with you.

Are you dayhiking or is this an overnighter?

Old Dude
May 17, 2008 07:33PM
Monitor the NOAA website for the forecast:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=HNX&llon=-119.986247&rlon=-118.246247&tlat=38.299584&blat=36.562084&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=91&map.y=61

The first item that should be on your list of essential equipment is a decent pair of hiking boots (not shoes) with reasonable ankle support - even for dayhikes in the backcountry.
May 17, 2008 09:36PM
I would be doing it as a day hike because it's only about 13 miles round trip from what I understand. Is there a particular reason I would want boots over shoes for this hike?
May 18, 2008 07:11AM
The trail from Tanaya Lake to Clouds Rest is well developed. You could almost do it barefoot.

Added: You do have to cross Tanaya Creek early on while still in the flat part within a short distance of the start. It isn't deep but will be cold. Bring an extra pair of sox and a towel.

Post Edited (05-18-08 09:47)

Old Dude
May 18, 2008 09:09AM
Ah.. Cloud's Rest....

I suggest to get up very early and be on the trail by 6:00 am. If you quietly move along the trail you will see and hear deer and birds as they go about their morning routines. Your trail goes up steadily through the trees to the ridge and goes up toward Cloud's Rest.

They will be a bit of scrambling (shoes of some kind would be a good idea) though not serious. Then you will be presented with an unparalleled view of Tenaya Canyon, Yosemite Valley and be looking down on Half Dome.

When I did this hike with my two teenagers about six years ago, we got to the top so early that we decided to climb Half Dome and go down to the Valley. We got back very late stayed in the valley and got the bus back up to Tenaya Lake the next day. That was an epic to be sure.

Cloud's Rest is a special place. If you want a hard hike and wish to eschew the crowds of the Half Dome trail, start early from Happy Isles and climb Cloud's Rest. It is much harder than Half Dome (longer in miles and higher in elevation). The long hike humbles the soul to appreciate the tremendous views at the summit.

As to the conditions, like anywhere in the sierra start early, summit early and if there are any signs of a storm stay off the summits. The storms come quick and sometimes out of nowhere but are usually after noon.

Enjoy!

Mike
May 18, 2008 10:18AM
Thanks for the tip about Tenaya Creek Mike, that information will come in handy when packing my bag smiling smiley

Alphen- That sounds like quite a hike! I won't be doing anything near that length on this trip because none of us will be physically fit enough to do 20+ miles in one day. However, I did do Half Dome last year starting from Happy Isles early in the morning and completing it as a day hike. It was quite surreal...

I plan on getting up around 5:30am or so the day of the hike so that we can be on the trail as early as possible. We'll be sleeping at Housekeeping camp so it'll take a while to drive up to Tenaya Lake and start the hike.
May 19, 2008 12:08PM
Clouds Rest is quite surreal in and of itself. I didn't do it as a day hike. I rather liked breaking my trip up into Half Dome, then Clouds Rest, and finally down past Nevada and Vernal Falls.

It is a bit surreal looking down on Half Dome and Tenaya Canyon.

May 20, 2008 12:27PM
Second the comment about the stream crossing at the beginning near Tenaya Lake, it will be very wet but easy to cross. You will also run into snow heading up the north facing ridge toward sunrise. There were significant drifts there two years ago well into June.
May 20, 2008 09:44PM
Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I'll be able to dry quickly after crossing, because I don't have waterproof gear. Or would it be worth putting some rubber galoshes over my shoes just for the crossing, taking them off and leaving them there, and then putting them back on when I get back at the end of the hike?
May 21, 2008 08:45AM
Would reco taking Teva's or similiar. The water was about knee high in places and you may need them later as well after you cross sunshine ridge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login