Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mosquitos

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 21, 2008 12:12PM
May 22, 2008 07:33PM
The recent hot spell brought a few mosquitoes at the valley campgrounds early this week, so if you're heading up, expect there to be some. Not bad, but it doesn't take many.

We didn't see any up higher along the John Muir and Half Dome trail (yet).

For those who don't care much for DEET, or necessarily trust the 'harmless' rating they guess it deserves, I've found that Repel's lemon eucalyptus repellent works very well, and smells and feels a heckuva lot better.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 26, 2008 08:57PM
Hey Gary,

I picked up some of the Repel product you mentioned today, but a thought occured to me, would the lemon scent draw bears? I was thinking about using DEET based repellent on my self except my face, and I was gonna use the Repel product on my face/head, but.....
May 26, 2008 09:13PM
rroland wrote:

> Hey Gary,
>
> I picked up some of the Repel product you mentioned today, but
> a thought occured to me, would the lemon scent draw bears? I
> was thinking about using DEET based repellent on my self except
> my face, and I was gonna use the Repel product on my face/head,
> but.....

Oh yeah, well, the bears, but you can just yell at them...8^)

Lacking any scientific tests, all I can go by is past experience, and it hasn't been an issue. We used it last week at Upper Pines in the evening, as well as in past years and up in the high country, and haven't had an inquisitive bear (at least not that was interested in us or the spray...spilled milk on the bear box is a different story).

I put the spray bottle in the bear box, but I do that with the DEET stuff too. I'd keep either one in a bear canister at night if you're backpacking. As far as it being an issue if the scent remains on us, that doesn't seem to be a problem; things like soaps and shampoos leave a scent also, but I've never heard of that being a problem attracting bears. It seems to be when you and the scented stuff are not together that problems happen.

My son once slept in the tent with jerky in his pocket (accidentally) and nothing happened. Leaving just the jerky, without a person attached, would very likely be a problem though. Not that I'm recommending sleeping with your food.

However, if you do as planned and notice a bear interested in your head and face, but not the rest of you, let us know....
8^)

Post Edited (05-26-08 21:22)

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 26, 2008 10:31PM
I for sure will use the bear can on the trail and put *everything* in there to be safe, although a worker at Sunrise camp told me last fall he hasn't seen a bear in five years. Better safe than sorry.

'I gots to get this pack lighter!!'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login