Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Old Hetch-Hetchy Water System dam to be replaced.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Old Hetch-Hetchy Water System dam to be replaced.
September 16, 2011 01:46PM
From the San Francisco Chronicle:

The days are numbered for the old tower and decorative arches at Calaveras Dam, which holds back the reservoir that is San Francisco's largest local source of drinking water.

Workers for the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission will begin shoveling dirt today as part of a $416 million project to replace the 210-foot-high earthen barrier that has collected water from Alameda Creek for 86 years...

San Francisco Chronicle: Calaveras Dam replacement to begin amid retrofit

avatar Re: Old Hetch-Hetchy Water System dam to be replaced.
September 16, 2011 01:52PM
I used to bike around the area when I was going to school in the South Bay. There was a nice loop that went through Sunol and Fremont, with a nice hill climb up to the reservoir.
September 16, 2011 03:02PM
Just curious...how's this connected to Hetch Hetchy? Does the Tuolumne (or some diversion out of Hetch Hetchy) eventually end up in this reservoir?
September 16, 2011 03:26PM
DavidK42
Just curious...how's this connected to Hetch Hetchy? Does the Tuolumne (or some diversion out of Hetch Hetchy) eventually end up in this reservoir?

See the map on this webpage:
http://bawsca.org/water-supply/hetch-hetchy-water-system/
September 16, 2011 11:27PM
No more amazing than where LA gets a lot it's water

All the way up Owens Valley to Mono Lake.

Crazy to think that both LA and SF are getting some of their water from the area around Yosemite.
September 16, 2011 03:40PM
Quite an amazing water delivery system!
September 17, 2011 07:37AM
I don't want to start an enviromentalist fight: but have Bay area residents who are also enviromentalists forgiven the Hetch Hetchy flooding that Muir fought against? Or is there still a grudge? I know the history I just haven't seen any modern day discussion.
September 17, 2011 07:51AM
chicagocwright
I don't want to start an enviromentalist fight: but have Bay area residents who are also enviromentalists forgiven the Hetch Hetchy flooding that Muir fought against? Or is there still a grudge? I know the history I just haven't seen any modern day discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restore_Hetch_Hetchy
September 17, 2011 08:55AM
Restore Hetch Hetchy has a Facebook page that is updated fairly regularly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login