Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Chicago Marathon 2011

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Chicago Marathon 2011
October 07, 2011 08:06PM
I just can't help myself--I am running the 2011 Chicago Marathon and raising money for World Vision!

In 2004, my friend Britt Talley came to Chicago to run the Chicago Marathon. His training buddy was registered but was unable to race because he was being shipped to Iraq. So on Friday night I decided to run as Josh Lueker. At that time I had not ran so much as a mile in over 10 years. I had to go purchase shoes and running clothes that night and invented a 36 Hour Marathon Training Program. I finished that race in 5:34:18.

I retired from Marathon racing last year after completing the race with my dad. I have not trained for a marathon. But I have been training for a couple big hikes and this past weekend did canyoneering, Rock Climbing and Mountain Summitting (13,000+ ft) in Yosemite. On Monday, my mom, dad and I climbed Mt. Dana taking 9 hours to hike 6 miles starting at 10,000 and climbing to 13,000 ft. I am still a little bruised and scratched up but I think I can finish and hope to break my previous 36 hour Training record.

So my intent was to be a spectator at this years marathon but Britt had another friend drop out. The last couple years I have ran the Marathon and raised money for World Vision. Britt Talley has registered as a World Vision runner so if you are interested in donating to a very worthy cause please visit this link:
http://support.worldvision.org/site/TR/TeamWorldVision/General?px=1171642&pg=personal&fr_id=1430

The Race is officially less than 36 Hours away--I am now in training!
October 09, 2011 07:22PM
Finished! 5:15:47

A week after Tenaya Canyon and less than a week after Mt. Dana in wind and some snow----not too bad!
avatar Re: Chicago Marathon 2011
October 10, 2011 04:14PM
Congratulations. Well done!
October 10, 2011 05:08PM
I'm retired again. I am going back to hiking and climbing!

Maybe I'll try the 4 mile Panoramic Loop---twice!

No not really, I had my taste climbing, bushwhacking, rappeling and hiking and it's just too fun and beautiful to be in a hurry.
October 14, 2011 10:49PM
chicagocwright

No not really, I had my taste climbing, bushwhacking, rappeling and hiking and it's just too fun and beautiful to be in a hurry.

So no ironman triathlon in the near future? smiling smiley
October 15, 2011 08:05AM
Ohnivy-Drak
chicagocwright

No, those people are crazy...

(To be honest, I would love to do it, but there is no way I have enough time to train.)
October 15, 2011 01:04PM
chicagocwright
Ohnivy-Drak
chicagocwright

No, those people are crazy...

(To be honest, I would love to do it, but there is no way I have enough time to train.)

These people are worse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badwater_Ultramarathon
October 15, 2011 08:30PM
No thanks. There's heat, and then there's this. It's insanity. How much water do you lose by simply sitting in those conditions?
October 15, 2011 09:31PM
Ohnivy-Drak
How much water do you lose by simply sitting in those conditions?

Enough to cause the brain damage needed to enter the race?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login