Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sea Levels to Continue to Rise for 500 Years?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sea Levels to Continue to Rise for 500 Years?
October 17, 2011 10:35AM
ScienceDaily (Oct. 17, 2011) — Rising sea levels in the coming centuries is perhaps one of the most catastrophic consequences of rising temperatures. Massive economic costs, social consequences and forced migrations could result from global warming. But how frightening of times are we facing? Researchers from the Niels Bohr Institute are part of a team that has calculated the long-term outlook for rising sea levels in relation to the emission of greenhouse gases and pollution of the atmosphere using climate models.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111017102601.htm
October 19, 2011 12:56PM
eeek
ScienceDaily (Oct. 17, 2011) — Rising sea levels in the coming centuries is perhaps one of the most catastrophic consequences of rising temperatures. Massive economic costs, social consequences and forced migrations could result from global warming. But how frightening of times are we facing? Researchers from the Niels Bohr Institute are part of a team that has calculated the long-term outlook for rising sea levels in relation to the emission of greenhouse gases and pollution of the atmosphere using climate models.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111017102601.htm

so, some areas will become inhabitable because rising sea levels, but large tracts of land in Greenland, Siberia, upper parts of Canada, Antarctica etc. will become habitable and productive farmland. Of course, this assumes that it will continue to get hotter. Of course, the one constant in this is that scientists will need massive amounts of spending to look into it. That part of the economy will surely continue to prosper.
avatar Re: Sea Levels to Continue to Rise for 500 Years?
October 19, 2011 01:09PM
telfair ave
Of course, this assumes that it will continue to get hotter. Of course, the one constant in this is that scientists will need massive amounts of spending to look into it. That part of the economy will surely continue to prosper.

So you'd rather the money go to the parasites on Wall Street instead?
October 19, 2011 02:33PM
eeek
telfair ave
Of course, this assumes that it will continue to get hotter. Of course, the one constant in this is that scientists will need massive amounts of spending to look into it. That part of the economy will surely continue to prosper.

To paraphrase a famous quote of Samuel Johnson:
'Ignorance is the last refuge of an idiot.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 02:55PM by szalkowski.
October 21, 2011 03:50PM
szalkowski
eeek
telfair ave

To paraphrase a famous quote of Samuel Johnson:
'Ignorance is the last refuge of an idiot.'

that almost makes sense... well not really. How about people keep their own money.
October 21, 2011 06:53PM
telfair ave
How about people keep their own money.

How about you not using that computer? It's based on science and much of that science was support with taxes. And please stay off the public roads, they were paid for with taxes too. Need I go on?
October 21, 2011 07:32PM
eeek
telfair ave
How about people keep their own money.

How about you not using that computer? It's based on science and much of that science was support with taxes. And please stay off the public roads, they were paid for with taxes too. Need I go on?

[Reprise previously paraphrased quote here.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 07:36PM by szalkowski.
October 20, 2011 01:34AM
eeek
telfair ave

It's not an either or proposition...
October 20, 2011 06:47PM
telfair ave
so, some areas will become inhabitable because rising sea levels, but large tracts of land in Greenland, Siberia, upper parts of Canada, Antarctica etc. will become habitable and productive farmland. Of course, this assumes that it will continue to get hotter.
That is a misconception many like to believe, but of course it's no where near reality. Sure, you'll be able to grow corn in Siberia, but Iowa will become a desert. With the sea level rising there will be LESS arable land and far more uninhabitable land.

Of course, the one constant in this is that scientists will need massive amounts of spending to look into it.

Not really. They've already looked into it and found the problems. The money should be spent on educating the ignorant on what is going to happen. The willfully ignorant are hopeless, so just write them off as a loss.

That part of the economy will surely continue to prosper.
Sadly, it won't. The Conservatives will see to that.
October 21, 2011 03:53PM
Dave
telfair ave
so, some areas will become inhabitable because rising sea levels, but large tracts of land in Greenland, Siberia, upper parts of Canada, Antarctica etc. will become habitable and productive farmland. Of course, this assumes that it will continue to get hotter.
That is a misconception many like to believe, but of course it's no where near reality. Sure, you'll be able to grow corn in Siberia, but Iowa will become a desert. With the sea level rising there will be LESS arable land and far more uninhabitable land.

Of course, the one constant in this is that scientists will need massive amounts of spending to look into it.

Not really. They've already looked into it and found the problems. The money should be spent on educating the ignorant on what is going to happen. The willfully ignorant are hopeless, so just write them off as a loss.

That part of the economy will surely continue to prosper.
Sadly, it won't. The Conservatives will see to that.

Why would Iowa become a desert? What if higher sea levels brings more rain to that area? What if higher ocean levels bring more rain and then more rain brings cooler weather? What if temps don't keep going up?
October 21, 2011 07:18PM
telfair ave
Why would Iowa become a desert?
Much of the middle latitudes would.

What if higher sea levels brings more rain to that area?
If that was all that was involved, but it isn't.

What if higher ocean levels bring more rain and then more rain brings cooler weather? What if temps don't keep going up?
I suggest a basic science course at your local junior college.
October 22, 2011 05:52PM
Dave
telfair ave

What if higher ocean levels bring more rain and then more rain brings cooler weather? What if temps don't keep going up?

DITTO! My God, did I really say that. Rush probably heard me. Shame on me.
October 22, 2011 06:13PM
tomdisco
Dave
telfair ave

DITTO! My God, did I really say that. Rush probably heard me. Shame on me.

I wouldn't worry. The fruitcake is too busy defending the Lord's Resistance Army to be concerned about you:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/291299/the-colbert-report-rush-limbaughs-christian-killing-accusations

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 07:33AM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login