Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: State Route 140 Is Now Open to All Vehicles

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar State Route 140 Is Now Open to All Vehicles
July 01, 2008 12:54PM
PRESS RELEASE
06/27/2008 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Gov. Schwarzenegger Announces State Route 140 Is Now Open to All Vehicles at Yosemite National Park

Caltrans Bridge Project Completed Early and in Time for July 4th Holiday Travel

Today Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger joined the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Essential Access Interim Bridge Project, opening State Route 140 (SR-140) to all vehicles. Prior to today, vehicles longer than 28 feet, including tour buses, school buses and some emergency vehicles could not access this main all weather route into Yosemite National Park.

"These new bridges mean that Yosemite tour buses, school buses, delivery trucks and emergency vehicles will have the access they need to ensure economic prosperity, public safety and normal daily life in this community," said Governor Schwarzenegger. "Finishing ahead of schedule and in time for the July 4th weekend, this is great news for area residents and to Californians planning to visit this national treasure."

The $8 million project installed two new interim bridges to allow vehicles up to 45-feet long access to the temporary bypass while the Permanent Restoration Project is developed for SR-140. Opening this important transportation link to large vehicles will enhance the economic vitality of the surrounding area, benefit tourism and restore this all weather route to Yosemite National Park.

SR-140 in Mariposa County is an important all-weather transportation link for Yosemite National Park. Governor Schwarzenegger issued an emergency proclamation after unusually heavy rains triggered a major landslide at Ferguson Ridge in Mariposa County. Caltrans worked to establish one-way traffic along SR-140, but the Ferguson slide became active and buried the entire route on May 25, 2006 resulting in the closure of SR-140 at that location. The two temporary bridges used until today were then installed allowing vehicles up to 28-feet in length to access SR-140 to Yosemite National Park, expediting the opening of SR-140.

The after effects of the landslide were devastating to the area. Hundreds of large tour buses that are the lifeblood of the local economy had to find alternate, longer routes into Yosemite National Park. As a result, many area businesses have closed, delivery costs increased and sales tax revenues went down 22 percent.

avatar Re: State Route 140 Is Now Open to All Vehicles
July 01, 2008 12:56PM
July 01, 2008 04:08PM
Darn, now I'll have to fight my way through the hordes of buses and massive RV's taking 140 now sad smiley. I was actually disapointed when they announced it was temporarily fixed.
July 01, 2008 05:05PM
cthenn2 wrote:

> Darn, now I'll have to fight my way through the hordes of buses
> and massive RV's taking 140 now sad smiley. I was actually disapointed
> when they announced it was temporarily fixed.

120 is still open.

July 02, 2008 10:46AM
Yeah, I know that. It was just nice to have a "car only" route, which was sort of the case when 140 was "broken". It was a decent drive along 140 not being stuck behind Ward and Mildred in their massive RV driving 10 mph down the steep windy road to the Merced River canyon.

July 02, 2008 11:35AM
cthenn2 wrote:

> Yeah, I know that. It was just nice to have a "car only"
> route, which was sort of the case when 140 was "broken". It
> was a decent drive along 140 not being stuck behind Ward and
> Mildred in their massive RV driving 10 mph down the steep windy
> road to the Merced River canyon.

But it was probably costing the NPS and concessionaires plenty to divert their deliveries through Oakhurst or Big Oak Flat. I think it's good for the health of the park.
July 03, 2008 10:38AM
But I'm a typical American, all I think about is me, me, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login