Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Has anyone hiked to the Subway in Zion from the bottom?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Has anyone hiked to the Subway in Zion from the bottom?
February 10, 2012 11:44AM
Looking for first hand accounts of this hike. Hoping to do it next week. I went halfway in Jan 2007, but was alone and stopped a lot to take photos along the way and never made it.
avatar Re: Has anyone hiked to the Subway in Zion from the bottom?
February 10, 2012 01:44PM
It should be a lot easier this summer, with a new Subway opening in Springdale.

No need to hike any longer all the way out to Hurricane. Grinning Devil
February 10, 2012 07:11PM
plawrence
It should be a lot easier this summer, with a new Subway opening in Springdale.

No need to hike any longer all the way out to Hurricane. Grinning Devil

They have been trying to open that Subway for a few years now. Most townspeople do not want chain restaurants in Springdale and have been fighting it. Is it really going to open? The building looked the same this past Thanksgiving as it did the year before.
February 11, 2012 08:05PM
I guess that's a no?
February 11, 2012 11:14PM
You made your query just yesterday. I would wait at least several more days to see if anyone who reads this board has the firsthand information that you seek. Note that a number of regulars of this board are often offline during the weekends traipsing about our wonderful world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 12:57AM by plawrence.
February 12, 2012 09:26AM
Ya, thanks. I meant that's a not from you two. Confused
February 19, 2012 05:53PM
I might be a little late for this, but I wrote a report about hiking into the Zion Subway from the bottom--

http://www.panamintcity.com/zion/zionsubway.html
February 19, 2012 10:14PM
Thanks Steve. Just got home today. We made it up there in 5.5 hours, and back in about the same. We found a lot more trail on the way back than on the way up. There was quite a bit of snow, up to a foot deep in some places. Crossed the stream probably 10 times going up, but about half that coming back. Took us over an hour to ascend the last 450 feet and hike back to the car, vs. 20 mins to descend.

Overall it was a kick butt hike with 20-30 lb packs of camera gear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 10:17PM by hotrod4x5.
February 25, 2012 05:06PM
I may be doing this in a month or so. Steve's narrative was great, but obviously done in the summer. Any advice for this time of year? Were you wading through any cold streams? Or were they all iced over? I am trying to figure out what to bring other than the usual hiking gear for the weather at the time!
February 26, 2012 03:44PM
Bearproof
I may be doing this in a month or so. Steve's narrative was great, but obviously done in the summer. Any advice for this time of year? Were you wading through any cold streams? Or were they all iced over? I am trying to figure out what to bring other than the usual hiking gear for the weather at the time!
I assume you are going from the bottom up and back. We didn't have to walk in any water till very near the end. It was only about 2-3 inches deep, so if you have waterproof boots, you should be fine. In march, the water may be a bit deeper. Start at sunrise, I can't emphasize that enough. We had a heck of a time finding the "trail" on the way up and we crossed the stream way too many times. We did a much better job on the way back, and only crossed a few times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login