All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camp Curry
July 25, 2008 11:22AM
Is is always the custom for people to yell their conversations across the camp at 6am, or did I just happen to show up in the middle of the annual "Leave Your Manners at Home" celebration?
Re: Camp Curry
July 26, 2008 07:55PM
No doubt about it, Mixolydian, ... the concept "quiet time" .. is way out of comprehension to a select number of people at park campgrounds ...

My somewhat cynical ongoing fantasy is that visitors as they arrive at the entry gates of Yosemite (or any other park) get asked by the rangers:

"Hi folks, we need to ask:

1. Can you tell time?"

"Great! We also wish to inquire:

2. Are you familier with a word in the englich language Q-U-I-E-T?"

"That's terrific! Now finally,

3. Can you comprehend the phrase 'quiet-time' ?

Good, you can come into the park! "

(Say isn't "Mixolydian" one of those scales in music? something like "Dorian" ... ?)
July 26, 2008 08:36PM
Anvanho wrote:

> (Say isn't "Mixolydian" one of those scales in music? something
> like "Dorian" ... ?)

That's what they said in music theory class.

The Mixolydian mode is a musical mode or diatonic scale. It has the same series of tones and semitones as the major scale, except the fifth (dominant) note is taken as the tonic or starting (beginning) pitch of the scale. It may also be considered a major scale with the leading tone moved down by a semitone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixolydian

July 28, 2008 07:36PM
Yup, I'm a musical kind of guy.

One way of thinking about the mixolydian scale is as a major scale with a flat (dominant) 7th. All of the other intervals are the same as the major scale.

But functionally, because, as eeek wrote, it uses the 5th of a major scale as it's tonic, you can replace any major scale with the mixolydian scale built from the 5th. This is commonly done in blues and rock, where a player will use the A mixolydian scale when the band is playing in D.
July 28, 2008 08:28PM
Hint... buy some earplugs when staying in Curry... cuz it's "yack yack yack" till 1am too... *chuckles* amongst other things.

Have fun and remember to lock up your food... bears.. ya know?

The Mystic Mermaid
July 29, 2008 09:46AM
Many campgrounds are like that. There may be posted "quiet hours" but I've been unable to sleep when people are partying at midnight. I've had groups apologizing the next day, but that seems to be the exception. Camp Curry also has the problem that it's got a very dense population. One group yelling loudly affects a lot of people trying to sleep. Of course you're probably going to have to put up with people yelling and making noises trying to scare off bears. Maybe the sound of pyrotechnics from the bear deterrent crew.

July 29, 2008 12:32PM
I don't usually stay at Curry, but the same people are other places also. They're the ones next to you on the third floor of the motel, when they get up at 5:30 and yell (standing outside your door) down to their friends in the parking lot, about their breakfast plans and other important stuff. Then each family member has to exchange info from the same spot, as they take their bags down.

They have to yell, because their friend of course, is busy warming up his diesel pickup down there, so the folks on the bottom floor won't oversleep.

I usually put the campground host's phone number on my cell phone (assuming it works there), which is nicer than walking down to the gate to get the # at 11:30. Unfortunately, that's usually the day AFTER the big party when I remember to do it...8^)

And who IS that woman who is at all the late campground parties, anyway? You know, the one with the rockfall-inducing laugh that thinks every other sentence is a the funniest thing she's ever heard?

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
July 29, 2008 09:29PM
She was at Big Basin last weekend! I hope she isn't at Samuel P. Taylor this weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login