Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ibuprofen Helps Altitude Sickness

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ibuprofen Helps Altitude Sickness
March 20, 2012 08:47PM
Stanford Hospital & Clinics and a clinical assistant professor at the Stanford University School of Medicine, has found that a widely available, over-the-counter (OTC) drug may help with altitude, or acute mountain sickness (AMS). Details of his research have been published this week in Annals of Emergency Medicine.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/243152.php
avatar Re: Ibuprofen Helps Altitude Sickness
March 20, 2012 08:51PM
Well, I already take Vitamin I for sore muscles/joints when I'm backpacking, and altitude has never really been an issue for me, so there you go.
March 20, 2012 09:03PM
I take Ibuprofen every night I'm out in the woods.

In my own science experiment... when a buddy of mine who is very prone to altitude was
going with me I told him to start taking Ibuprofen every night for a few nights before
we went. He didn't have any issue on that trip. So it's obviously proven true.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 21, 2012 08:49AM
I've found taking an aspirin tablet helps me cope better with the thin air and sleep better (more soundly) at high altitude. But that's different than suffering from acute mountain sickness (AMS).

The only time I started to get the symptoms of AMS was when I was on Maui and drove to the top of Haleakala for the sunrise. The symptoms disappeared once I was about halfway back down the mountain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login