Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Driving Directions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Driving Directions
July 29, 2008 10:37AM
Hello All,
We are heading up to Yosemite tomorrow Wednesday the 30th. We are coming up from San Diego and I was wondering the fastest route.
I know we have to take the 41 north out of Fresno, we are coming up the I5, what is the best way to get to fresno?

Thanks in advance and we are hoping that the fire won't ruin our vacation.

Oscar
July 29, 2008 10:48AM
Oscar,
Get on Highway 99 after the Grapevine and it will take you right to Fresno. 99 is a little boring but a lot faster than going up 5 and then cutting east.
There will be signs at Fresno that will direct you to Yosemite. The fire is far removed from 41 but there may very well be smoke in Yosemite.

Old Dude
Re: Driving Directions
July 29, 2008 10:50AM
Take the 15 towards San Bernardino, to the 10 W, to 210 N of LA... you are going to take the I 5 N, then below Bakersfield the 99 N which will take you to Fresno. 41 N through Fresno, to Oakhurst GAS UP THERE!!! No gas in park.

then follow 41 to Yosemite Ntl Park.... (We go there every year... this is the best route for gas/food and ease of road)

Have fun... it's smoky, but still nice.

Sea

The Mystic Mermaid
July 29, 2008 11:15AM
SeaWitch wrote:

> Take the 15 towards San Bernardino, to the 10 W, to 210 N of
> LA... you are going to take the I 5 N, then below Bakersfield
> the 99 N which will take you to Fresno. 41 N through Fresno, to
> Oakhurst GAS UP THERE!!! No gas in park.

Say again? I've passed by both the Crane Flat and Wawona gas stations. There's no gas in Yosemite Valley though.

Of course you're going to find better prices outside Yosemite.

July 29, 2008 11:48AM
y_p_w wrote:

> Say again? I've passed by both the Crane Flat and Wawona gas
> stations. There's no gas in Yosemite Valley though.
>
> Of course you're going to find better prices outside Yosemite.

Let me qualify that. The prices in Yosemite are high. You'll find better gas prices in Fresno, Coarsegold, or Oakhurst. I seem to recall the prices at the gas stations just outside the park (like the one in El Portal) are even higher than inside Yosemite.

July 29, 2008 11:04AM
Thanks Guys!
My girls and I are really excited about the trip, I have not been there in 25 years and hope to get a good day or two. We have been through fires down here in San Diego so we will make the best of it.

Where is the best place to get up to date information on the fire?
We are leaving early wed morning and hope to check the status before we leave.

Oscar
July 29, 2008 12:14PM
K. so, unless your desperate, or a millionaire... Gas in YNP is obscenely expensive (therefore not on MY map) .. Go the the AM/PM in Oakhurst... best price nearest the entrance.

The Mystic Mermaid
July 29, 2008 12:32PM
SeaWitch wrote:

> K. so, unless your desperate, or a millionaire... Gas in YNP
> is obscenely expensive (therefore not on MY map) .. Go the the
> AM/PM in Oakhurst... best price nearest the entrance.

It's a bit more, but what can you do? You could either spend (my guess) 60 cents more per gallon or drive all the way to Oakhurst or Lee Vining. For someone camping at Crane Flat or TM going back and forth to the Valley, that's going to mean running out of gas eventually. I'll pay a little bit more for the peace of mind that I'll have a reserve.

Granted - I was in Sequoia/Kings Canyon thinking I could buy gas at the Hume Lake Christian Camp, but bypassed them when I saw they didn't have premium and their prices were through the roof. I ended up driving on fumes until I got to Fresno.

I don't know if the various power outages in the park are affecting power to the gas stations.
July 30, 2008 10:48AM
One more for the gas in the park. There's supposed to be a gas station in Tuolumne Meadows. I didn't see it the only time I've passed by, since none of the services were ready a week after Tioga Pass opened.
July 30, 2008 10:53AM
From my former home in San Diego I always preferrred taking I-15 to Hwy 395 up to Kramer Jct, then cut across Hwy 58 through Mojave and Tehachapi then take the 99 north and totally bypass Los Angeles.

But that's just me. I bypassed SoCal completely a couple years ago and moved to Reno...
July 30, 2008 11:56AM
Just me, but I'd continue up 395 and go over Tioga Pass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login